01 saturn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 saturn

this is my 1st time using this site.i have a problem with my step sons 01 saturn sl 1.9 1st thing in the morning it will start right up.if you shut it off even a minute later it will not start back up for an hour of so.if you push the gas pedal to the floor it will act like for a split second its going to start but doen't,if you don't hold it to the floor it just sits there and cranks and nothing.please help me

Ok this may seem obvious but gotta ask, have you tested the battery?
    sigpic '96 SL1-101,00 miles and counting...

Comment

^ I'd assume if it's cranking but not starting, the battery isn't the issue.

Have you checked the fuel filter? Normal little things build up.

Spark plugs, wires, filters etc. Check it all, by process of elimination you should catch your problem.

Someone with more experience will chime in.

Btw, welcome to Sixthsphere
      - Sixthsphere Admin Team -

Comment

It's almost like it has a leaky injector until the fuel pressure bleeds off. Like when you get home at night and shut it off, it leaks into the intake port until the pressure is bled off, then over night some of the fuel evaporates and it starts up in the morning but after you start it in the morning, the fuel pressure is built up again so when you shut it off it leaks again and floods the engine. When you are pushing the pedal to the floor you are putting the PCM into "flood clear" mode so it's not injecting fuel while cranking. The fact that it fires when in flood clear but doesn't when you crank normally tells me it's flooded, not lean.
        Current: 2015 Fiesta ST - Full stage 3 bolt-ons and a 93 octane custom Stratified tune at 27 PSI.

Former modded N/A 97 SL2, unmolested 96 SC2, and turbo 95 SL2.
        99' SL2 Turbo - Parted out, returned to stock years ago, still on the road but everything keeps breaking.
        00' SC2 DD - SOLD
        02' SL1 - On loan to someone

Comment

The reason I asked was I had a similar problem a few months ago. I had just changed spark plugs and thought I threaded them wrong. Car would crank but not start. It would start only when I jiggled the 4the spark plug wire. But then I bought a new battery, no more problems. Go figure. But I second on checking plugs
          sigpic '96 SL1-101,00 miles and counting...

Comment

Have you ever replaced the ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor)? If you haven't, replace it. It may or may not be the issue, but if it hasn't been replaced it will fail & cause the car to run like crap.
            SaturnSeries.net Owner
            '99 SC2 Project Car build thread

Comment

^ The good replacement is the brass one, right?
              - Sixthsphere Admin Team -

Comment

Originally posted by slipstreamconversion View Post
                ^ The good replacement is the brass one, right?
                Yup

http://saturnseries.net/DIY%20Guides...eries-ECTS.htm
                SaturnSeries.net Owner
                '99 SC2 Project Car build thread

Comment

could the cps only be going out of range at certain temps?http://www.aa1car.com/library/saturn04.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Natedogg View Post
                    It's almost like it has a leaky injector until the fuel pressure bleeds off. Like when you get home at night and shut it off, it leaks into the intake port until the pressure is bled off, then over night some of the fuel evaporates and it starts up in the morning but after you start it in the morning, the fuel pressure is built up again so when you shut it off it leaks again and floods the engine. When you are pushing the pedal to the floor you are putting the PCM into "flood clear" mode so it's not injecting fuel while cranking. The fact that it fires when in flood clear but doesn't when you crank normally tells me it's flooded, not lean.
                    it still doesn't start that way.it only acts like its going to for a split second and it doesnt start

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycobee View Post
                      The reason I asked was I had a similar problem a few months ago. I had just changed spark plugs and thought I threaded them wrong. Car would crank but not start. It would start only when I jiggled the 4the spark plug wire. But then I bought a new battery, no more problems. Go figure. But I second on checking plugs
                      plugs are newish like 3 months old and wires are like 2 months old and i replaced the coil packs saturday 4 days ago

Comment

This sounds vaugley like a problem I had, it was the starter in that case. It may be also a fuel filter, pump or fuse going out. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by PurdueGuy View Post
                          Have you ever replaced the ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor)? If you haven't, replace it. It may or may not be the issue, but if it hasn't been replaced it will fail & cause the car to run like crap.
                          This would be my first thought (happened to me before), has the fuel mileage been worse?
                          Check the temp sensor first, and replace if cracked, even if not cracked, get a new brass one (not a plastic one or whatever it is) so you dont have to worrry about it.
                          '94 Saturn Sc2 5speed Turbo

Comment