non-GSi TB/AIR system vacuum routing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-GSi TB/AIR system vacuum routing question

Definitely a n00b question, right? I did the requisite searching but couldn't find the answer for my case.

I'm ready to install my non-GSi TB. There are four vacuum ports on the bottom, two large and two small.

I plan to cap the two large ports and connect one of the smaller ports to the canister purge solenoid.

My question is in regards to my AIR system. May I safely connect that to the other small port on the non-GSi TB or would I throw codes or create rough running conditions?

I ask because in my searching I've read that where you pull vacuum from (before or after the butterfly) affects engine performance.
    DD: 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

The two larger ports are for coolant. Dont worry about plugging them.

The air question is for someone else as ive never touched a 3rd gen.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by satysw2 View Post
      The two larger ports are for coolant. Dont worry about plugging them.
      Now I really feel stupid. That explains all the rust I found in the ports. Thanks for cluing me in.

Comment

The air system should not be affected by a t-body. The vac source for the air system is that vac line that runs over the top of the valve cover and connects to the #1 intake runner and the AIR control solenoid.
        -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
        1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
        1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

The AIR system references vacuum from the manifold. So any place after the throttle plate (manifold) should be just fine. I take it this is a late 99 motor? All the other AIR systems I've seen were using the composite manifold and referenced vacuum from I believe the number 1 or 2 runner.
          - Nate

2001 SL2m - Just about everything BUT the boost. High comp./N20 motor on the way.
          2000 SW2a - Newest member to the fold. .04 factory overbore.
          1998 Chevrolet 1500 Heavy 1/2 Ton. - Overweight, underpowered, bored .04

Comment

OK, so I'm still rocking the SOHC as in my sig. So, I've got the previous gen IM and my AIR is pulling vacuum from one of the ports on the top of the TB. I think I'll just T the line between the valve cover and IM.

Comment

Originally posted by LastSaturn View Post
              OK, so I'm still rocking the SOHC as in my sig. So, I've got the previous gen IM and my AIR is pulling vacuum from one of the ports on the top of the TB. I think I'll just T the line between the valve cover and IM.
              Tapatalk doesn't use sigs. And your sig may have changed 2 years from now when someone else is looking back to find help on this subject. I suggest specifying for that reason.

And Ting off that line is asking for all kinds of nasty sludge to enter your vacuum system
              - Nate

2001 SL2m - Just about everything BUT the boost. High comp./N20 motor on the way.
              2000 SW2a - Newest member to the fold. .04 factory overbore.
              1998 Chevrolet 1500 Heavy 1/2 Ton. - Overweight, underpowered, bored .04

Comment

Originally posted by anti-rice 01sl2 View Post
                Tapatalk doesn't use sigs. And your sig may have changed 2 years from now when someone else is looking back to find help on this subject. I suggest specifying for that reason.

And Ting off that line is asking for all kinds of nasty sludge to enter your vacuum system
                2002 SC1.

Any better recommendation than that line? Judging from your earlier post I don't want to pull from one of the GEO TB vacuum ports since they're outside the throttle plate.

I've seen one guy's manifold that was drilled and tapped to add vacuum fittings but I don't know if I want to go that far.
                Last edited by LastSaturn; 08-15-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I guess t the pcv or the brake booster hose

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz View Post
                    I guess t the pcv or the brake booster hose
                    For the PCV, isn't that the line Nate told me to avoid or I'd end up with "all kinds of nasty sludge" entering my vacuum system? I'm asking because I'd rather T that line as it's closer to the AIR solenoid than the brake booster line.

I know I can T the brake booster line but I thought it would be silly to have vacuum hose running from one corner of the engine bay to the other.

One last thing: Has anyone noticed that the Haynes repair manual shows a Geo TB in chapter 4, fuel and exhaust systems?

Comment

lol
                      which picture?
                      99 sc1 dohc swapped mp2 with 50-75 shot of zex and megasquirt in progress

Comment

Originally posted by centralfloridasc1 View Post
                        lol
                        which picture?
                        Picture 13.2, on page 4-9.

Comment

haa
                          99 sc1 dohc swapped mp2 with 50-75 shot of zex and megasquirt in progress

Comment

AS long as you have vac to operate your features, it should work. It might get some sludge in it, but I think you will have the life out of it before then....even if the line does get sludge and I'm wrong, go get another 2-3ft of hose to replace the vac line. It shouldn't cost more then $5, so big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz View Post
                              AS long as you have vac to operate your features, it should work. It might get some sludge in it, but I think you will have the life out of it before then....even if the line does get sludge and I'm wrong, go get another 2-3ft of hose to replace the vac line. It shouldn't cost more then $5, so big deal.
                              I appreciate you and Nate answering my questions. I got the TB in yesterday. I connected the AIR and the canister purge solenoid to the two ports on the TB.

I got a P0113 but that may have been related to the piston soak I did at the same time. I cleared the code this morning and I'll watch it to see if it pops again.

Comment