intake manifold extension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intake manifold extension?

I was thinking about extending the intake manifold a few inches by moving the Tb after the 90degree bend, i know i have seen it on a couple cars on this site (cant recall which ones), i have complete competence about building it, i was just wondering if this will even have any benefits in throttle response or power.
    1996 dohc eaton m90 5psi- http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/sho...6-sl1-sl2-swap

I would also like to know why people are running these extensions.
    sigpic

Comment

Non stock TB's that do not fit the stock manifold.
      Originally posted by alexofnazareth
      Do the world a favor and get back to your cornholing.

Comment

so the plenum volume increase has no noticeable effect?

Comment

i dont think it did. I think it was there to fit the oversized TB.
          Originally posted by alexofnazareth
          Do the world a favor and get back to your cornholing.

Comment

That makes sense.
            sigpic

Comment

Some people did it for the added plenum. If you are referring to the FSR style manifolds those are a nearly complete redesign.
              Sixthsphere.com Owner
              2016 Honda Fit
              2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD
              2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

There is such a thing as too much plenum extension.

Ask me how I know.

Sent from my Droid X when we all know there is much more important shit I could be doing.
                - Nate

2001 SL2m - Just about everything BUT the boost. High comp./N20 motor on the way.
                2000 SW2a - Newest member to the fold. .04 factory overbore.
                1998 Chevrolet 1500 Heavy 1/2 Ton. - Overweight, underpowered, bored .04

Comment

How you know? lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

I added about 10" of extension on my 3rd gen SDA ported manifold so that I could relocate and use a GSI tb. My top end is decent but my low rpms are just about worthless.

Sent from my Droid X when we all know there is much more important shit I could be doing.
                    - Nate

2001 SL2m - Just about everything BUT the boost. High comp./N20 motor on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by satysw2 View Post
                      How you know? lol.
                      pretty sure he had/has a ridiculous setup for the geo TB on his car
                      sigpic-VOLVO 745T 175K MBC ...
                      - 9 BOLT Aluminum Intake 3rd gen sedan... Beige... 160K

You're so crazy! enough in a way that i'll probably say you destroyed me!
                      ~The Used

Comment

Originally posted by therealm0rh0us View Post
                        pretty sure he had/has a ridiculous setup for the geo TB on his car
                        Have. Soon to be had. And its sort of ridiculous. Haha

- Nate

Comment

okay from what im getting is the engineers had it right in the first place, and im better off just slapping a geo tb on the stock mani and calling it a day?

Comment

I swear I read somewhere that you keep one or the other relatively small IE: big plenum/small TB or the other way. Someone prove/disprove; as I thought i read it in my engine modding book (Forced Induction Performance Tuning & Four Stroke Performance Tuning, by A Graham Bell; good books!) but i didn't find it, so I am not sure.

I hope that was comprehensible.
                            http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment