Paintballmaniac's 2001 OBDII Turbo Turd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paintballmaniac's 2001 OBDII Turbo Turd

[attachment=0:18scrnro]Official Tunerstudios Saturn Tune.msq[/attachment:18scrnro]

Purpose: Daily driver
    Internals: Factory, currently 123,900 on odometer
    Uses 5w-40 Rotella Synthetic w/ Mobil 1 SRT4 oil filter, GM Synchromesh Gear lube
    Boost: 0.4bar wastegate spring (5.2psi after pressure loss)
    This is a low boost build. Megasquirt-I manages fuel only.

2001 Saturn SL2 (turbocharged)

Engine
    Stock motor

Engine Management
    Megasquirt-I version 3.0 controlling #33 Low-impedance injectors
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband controller and Bosch wideband sensor
    Autometer Sport-comp 30-20 Mechanical boost gauge
    Autometer Sport-comp Narrowband air/fuel ratio gauge

Turbo Setup
    .48ar T3 turbocharger
    38mm Tial wastegate w/atmospheric dump routing
    Stainless steel 4G63 *modified* 9-bolt T3 turbo manifold
    1st generation DSM blow-off valve
    Dodge SRT-4 OEM front-mount intercooler
    2" Charge piping
    3" Intake piping w/K&N Air Filter
    2.5" Exhaust piping w/18" resonator and turn-down

OBX Radiator hoses
    Stock Radiator
    Push-style Electric fan

Ignition
    BKR7EIX-11 NGK Spark plugs
    BWD Select OEM 7mm silicone spark wires

Suspension
    StreetDesignAuto T.A.M insert
    StreetDesignAuto Dogbone mounts
    Poly-filled transmission mount
    Otto-R Front strut bar
    Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs
    ST performance valved gas struts
    17" ADR 6-spoke wheels
    Maxxis MA-V1 Ultra High-Performance All-Season tires

Some old pics:

[attachment=0:18scrnro]Official Tunerstudios Saturn Tune.msq[/attachment:18scrnro]
    2001 SL2 Turbo (Retired) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzERiAMKzBA
    2001 SC1 (1st Gen DOHC Head Swap, Twin-intake mod)

Re: Paintballmaniac's SL2t

1. The tap in the oil pan is for the oil to drain, not feed the turbo. The feed line comes off of the back of the block where there are externally plugged oil galleys. And no, you will have to tap the oil pan because the oil drains by gravity out of the turbo, that is unless you feel like running a scavenge pump, which would be far more work than getting a new oil pan from the dealership and tapping it to hook up a drain line.

Also, you would be fine with 30-33# injectors at that small of an amount of boost. That turbo won't push a whole lot of air at that boost level. Even a setup with a t3 super 60 running 10 psi will be more than adequately fueled with 37# injectors.

Comment

Comment

Apart from being quite small, that turbo appears to be a XSpower or other cheap chinese derivative.
        [16:02] Ferrari166mm: so you&#39;re finally getting into real cars.<br />[16:02] adamkob32: I&#39;ve just had enough of racing a 100HP nutsack
        <br /><br />

Comment

Originally posted by DasPirate
          Apart from being quite small, that turbo appears to be a XSpower or other cheap chinese derivative.
          The turbo is quite small. The turbo is a cheap chinese derivative. $210 new and cheap [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

That particular turbo even I would be a bit worried about. Everyone knows the ones that say "turbocharger" on them are from a not very good chinese manufacturer that a lot of people had problems with. But shit, you already got it, so you might get lucky like me.

Regarding your PM about the turbo. Mine was a/r .42
            It won't flow much! I made only 189 whp at almost 9 psi. That was with a shitty timing map and a bunch of other excuses, but the fact remains. It didn't flow well at all. Let me find a dyno chart of my running 6 psi with a similar turbo...
            [attachment=1:3v7mkme1]6psi_resized.jpg[/attachment:3v7mkme1]

And here's the dyno from the same .42 turbo, but at 9 psi:
            [attachment=0:3v7mkme1]9psi_resized.jpg[/attachment:3v7mkme1]

So, as far as reaching your goal - yeah you'll probably get your 160 whp. Probably more.
            My engine had over 200k miles on it. And I had a real shitty timing map (worse than stock probably).

But it was still fun. And on a 3rd engine, it's probably not a good idea to run higher boost and DD it anyway!
            You'll like the quick spool, that's for sure. I still miss it.
            2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp &amp; 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Comment

Excellent!

If the turbo goes kaput then I'll upgrade. No big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by paintballmaniac
                The turbo is quite small. The turbo is a cheap chinese derivative. $210 new and cheap [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_thumbsup.gif[/img]
                Ultra fail!

I paid a touch over $300 shipped for my brand new Holset.
                -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

Yeah, for the record my .63 a/r cost me $150 + $25 shipping, brand new. But whatever, still a decent deal if it doesn't explode. And I doubt it'll explode at that boost level. It might blow up at like 15-20 psi from the stories I hear.
                  2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp &amp; 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Comment

Brand new IHI for $90 shipped [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_ninja.gif[/img]
                    [16:02] Ferrari166mm: so you&#39;re finally getting into real cars.<br />[16:02] adamkob32: I&#39;ve just had enough of racing a 100HP nutsack
                    <br /><br />

Comment

You guys got some nice deals and I know I could have done a bit more shopping around for a decent price but it's done and it will work. For now. Then i'll fix my mistake and either get a new turbo because it seized up or I want to turn up the boost and have the money to support it.

Comment

Honestly, buying this soon is a dumb idea. You JUST decided you wanted to turbo your car...

Wait until you have money and can buy all your stuff. The only time you should be buying things early is when a deal pops up somewhere and you are POSITIVE it's a good part..
                        - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

Buying is like the first step "through the door". I did the same thing, I bought a turbo first, without even thinking. Except my choice of a turbo was even worse - it was a nearly dead Garrett a/r .42 from a Dodge (with a weird ass flange). So it cost me a lot more to make it work. Worth the experience, so for his first setup - let him enjoy it. He's been asking intelligent questions and he's gonna be going with MS for fuel and doing a lot of things properly.

Comment

I do have MS-I coming in about a week. I felt that if I bought the turbo that it would be more than enough to pursuade me to follow through with the build [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Got the megasquirt and wastegate in today. I'll have pictures up soon.

Comment