Slippery's Piece of Junk 98 SC2: 8-9-10 New Pics Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slippery's Piece of Junk 98 SC2: 8-9-10 New Pics Up

Well, had this cursed, lame excuse for a car for over 2 years now. After all we have been through, I figured now would be a good time to start a build thread for it.

A bit of history:
    In January of 2008 my first car, a 1990 Buick Le Sabre, blew up the transmission, wouldn't go out of 2nd gear. With it being so old, and at the time knowing absolutely nothing about cars, i went ahead and sold it for almost nothing and went car hunting. My mom had driven Saturns since 1991 and always loved them. After quite a bit of shopping, I found a dark blue 98 SC2 with 88,000 miles, and an auto-tragic. Talked them down to a decent price, $2500 and went ahead and bought it.

Everything was smooth sailing until September of 2008 when reverse slam started happening. After doing a ton of reading, I went ahead and did a valve body swap. Keep in mind, up until this point, I had never even done an oil change. Well, that lasted for about 2 months, then that Valve body crapped out. Went ahead and swapped it again, and that one sucked again. I tightened and replaced the input/output shaft nuts both times, but still died on me. Did a crap ton more reading and my friend Joey and I swapped in a manual transmission in January of 2009.

Joey had a ton more experience with working on cars than me, but neither of us had attempted anything close to a transmission swap. Took us about 5 days, working on it a little each day. After a ton of trouble shooting we finally got it up and running and i learned how to drive a 5 speed.

Fast forward to march of 2009 and the oil decided it had been in the crankcase long enough and proceeded to go into the transmission. The engine spun almost every bearing and had to be rebuilt. Bought some parts off ProjectSL2, after a long drive to Virginia. Upon getting the parts back to Greenwood, Indiana, We discovered that all the parts were covered with an impressive amount of dog hair. Cleaned it off with just shy of 100 cans of brake cleaner. Assembled it and it ran pretty darn smooth, pulled nice and hard. Broke it in properly and everything went to hell again. Managed to blow the intake manifold gasket 3 times, each time torqued to spec and both flanges cleaned extremely well. And the curse continues...

It was running pretty well up until Thanksgiving week of 2009. Upon a short trip to Lafayette, Indiana (maybe an hour and a half drive if u go the speed limit, so an hour for joey and I) the engine blew up yet again. We were cruising along on the highway, Joey goes for a pass in 4th, winds it out to maybe 4500 RPMS, shift to 5th. Rod bids farewell to the crank and makes a nice hole in the block. After taking the engine apart, it looks like either the rod came off the block, or the top ring land simply gave out. Don't know what happened first, but everything was a total loss.

CLIFFS:
    -Bought in Jan. 2008
    -Jan. 2009 manual swap
    -March 2009 engine blows up
    -June 2009 new engine put in
    -November 2009 engine blows again

So, the current engine will be built with a few extra goodies and significantly less dog hair. Plans are:

-95 head that has been port and polished and decked .040
    -98 block bored .040 over
    -Flat face valves
    -Twin intake cams
    -Scat rods
    -Hyper pistons .040 over
    -Chrome moly rings
    -SAFC with AEM wideband
    -2.5" mandrel bent side exit exhaust
    -Injen short ram
    -Bunch of other crap I'm forgetting to list

Future:
    - Either swap the head and boost it, or run a nasty DP nitrous setup.

Did a compression test, number are: 185, 160, 185, 190. Looks like cylinder 2 is the problem. Going to pull it back out tomorrow or monday and see what i can find.

Yanked it out last night, killed rod bearing on cylinder 2. Cylinders 1 and 2 look like they weren't getting enough oil at the crankshaft. Anybody know what would cause this?
    98 P.O.SC2 5 Speed- Fail on wheels/ semi-permanent lawn ornament
    02 SL1- Manual swapped, still slower than molasses on the south pole

Sixthsphere: The only place where respect comes from fast, clean turds.

Re: Slippery's Piece of Junk 98 SC2

And for some pictures of what it has looked like as well as some more current shots.

Comment

Well, got the drivetrain dropped in last night and it runs, kinda. Making some weird noises in the bottom end. Hoping its just the rings/ rods getting comfy, but don't really think it is. Got some noisy lifters too. Hopefully get some of this sorted out when I get off work tonight, engine pics will also be posted later

Comment

damn ProjectSL2 and his infernal dog hair. Brandon sheds everywhere.

I love that color by the way. Wish they made third gen coupes in that color. Hope you get the motor all figured out.
        -Schaffer
        01 Sc2 "Zen"
        14 Wrangler "ManillaZilla"
        01 Sc2 "Diva" (wifes)

Comment

haha, by the time i had gotten half the hair off I wasn't even mad, just impressed.

I can rotate the engine with the crank bolt easily, with no noticeable binding, so that's somewhat of a good sign. Every bolt is tightened to spec, and everything measured out to be just right. Trying to decide between pulling the whole engine, or just the head.

Comment

Re: Slippery's Piece of Junk 98 SC2: 3-27-10 Kind of runs

Well, pulled the engine last night. Disassembled it today. Looks like my timing tensioner crapped out, only 10,000 miles on it. Also, I managed to demolish the rod bearing on cylinder 2. Luckily the crank looks good, measures out good. It looks like rods 1 and 2 were not getting enough oil on the crankshaft. Anybody know what would cause this?

Comment

Re: Slippery's Piece of Junk 98 SC2: 3-30-10 got some questions now

timing chain tensioner would easily cause that if it went bad. oil pressure was able to blead past of the valving and seal in side of the tct took a dump. Otherwise clearance issues. or being low on oil or over due for an oil change etc...

Comment

Originally posted by slipperysc2
                And for some pictures of what it has looked like as well as some more current shots.

I really like the wheels in the 2nd and 3rd pics. What are they?
                [img width=634 height=191]http://i46.tinypic.com/2ue4qcy.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by JRSTANGE
                  timing chain tensioner would easily cause that if it went bad. oil pressure was able to blead past of the valving and seal in side of the tct took a dump. Otherwise clearance issues. or being low on oil or over due for an oil change etc...
                  The bearings and crank are brand new, clearances are dead on. Would the loss of pressure from a bad tensioner make just one bearing fail? Looked like both cylinders 1 and 2 were low on oil. Engine had 4.6 quarts, just right to fill it up with an SRT-4 filter. Engine was brand new, 0 miles.
                  Originally posted by skarules24
                  I really like the wheels in the 2nd and 3rd pics. What are they?
                  Those are 15" ADR battle axes. Picked them up with brand new falken tires for $200 on craigslist. tires are a bit smaller than I'd like, but overall look and drive great.

Comment

Trying to think about it. Typically when low oil psi is an an issue i find that the thrust bearing has failed first on my engines. Or the conditions when going to gether might not have been very clean. Not sure.

Comment

Well, spent a little time this week building the engine again. Got it all built and the tranny i bought from blackbirdracing thrown on it. Started it up and ran like shit again. Then i hear a loud crack and the engine shuts off. Look in the engine bay and I got smoke coming out of the bell housing. Awesome.

really thinking of just junking the stupid car and move on.

Comment

Re: Slippery's Piece of Junk 98 SC2: 4-17-10 rebuilt again and still runs like junk

Went ahead and pulled the drive-train back out a few weekends ago. Upon taking the tranny off the engine, it looks like my throw out bearing came unclipped from the fork and somehow I demolished my pressure plate. Teeth bent and a nice gouge all the way around the pressure plate. The engine spins fine now with a wrench on the crank pulley and the tranny still spins smoothly in every gear. Looks like all i killed was the clutch kit.

Ordered a new clutch kit and flywheel (the flywheel I was using had unknown mileage but was glazed like a fresh dunkin donut). Flywheel should be here on Friday and hopefully get this pile of junk running Friday or Saturday night. Finals are coming up so studying is more important right now than putting time into a massive hunk of plastic fail.

On a side note: I went to install my Autometer cobalt mechanical oil pressure gauge and I don't have the right fitting for the oil galley plug. Anyone know what size I need to order or where I can pick one up?

Comment

Re: Slippery's Piece of Junk 98 SC2: 4-29-10 Ordered new parts, attempt #3

Depending on which galley hole, either 14mm x 1.5 or 16mm x 1.5.

Or get the SunPro adapter pack, CP7573 that has both.
                          95 SL2m, my first Saturn and perpetual project car, running mutt engine during project engine build<br />95 SL2a, thinking about an MP3 swap, 150 miles/quart of oil<br />95 SL1a, turned DOHC, 50 miles/quart of oil, doing it all again the right way.

Comment

Thanks for the help virnin. Just ordered the adapter kit from sunpro, should be here Tuesday from the looks of it. Flywheel should be here tomorrow so hopefully get everything bolted together and dropped in tomorrow night. Probably work on the gauges next week along with the new exhaust.

Comment

are you planning to boost eventually? or just an enormous shot of nitrous? Otherwise i don't see the point in scat rods.
                              Sucks your terrible luck with the engine, hopefully you can get it sorted out.
                              The part i hate the most about pulling everything, is having to realign the front end..hehe.

Good luck.
                              -RuD
                              TOY: 95 SW1 Turbo 5 spd DOHC swapped - Sold.
                              DD: 04 ION Redline (stock)

Comment