98 SL2 "Peppe"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 SL2 "Peppe"

Meet Peppe, a 1998 SL2 (Yes, Manual). Named after "Pepe Le Pew", The Cartoon Skunk. If you look carefully, you'll see the car has a white streak just down the middle. Not sure why it has this, I assume because it was marked for auction or something. But it is a mark that adds character.

I got the car for a steal at a used lot. Runs perfectly, needs tires, needs a tune up, needs new speakers; in that order. If you see a problem that you may know how to fix, by all means give me your input.

Things that are wrong: (Basically a Checklist)
    • Power Locks do not work.
    • A/C Doesn't work.
    • Bad Tinting caused windows to stick, was unable to role them down. (yes all 4 windows) *Fixed
    • Radio Unit has no back light on the buttons.
    • Replace Rear Speakers *Fixed
    • Replace Front Speakers
    • Reupholster the Headliner
    • Replace the Steering Wheel (it's really really worn)
    • Clean the Engine Compartment
    • Repair the Dome Light

-Power Locks don't work at all, I think I just need to replace the buttons.
    -A/C Seems like it has a bad compressor. Put in freon still doesn't work. Will check fuse.
    -Headliner completely torn apart. No fabric on it at all. Will remove, clean, and replace fabric.
    -Steering Wheel is very very worn. Not sure how it could possibly be so worn, but I plan to replace it.
    -Engine compartment greacy and dirty, simple degrease and cleaning.
    -Dome light partially works. It comes on manually, but the door mode does not work. Any input is appreciated as to why this could be happening. It is also no longer mounted, and I've no idea how to remount it.

What I plan to do with it:
    Aside from the basic maintenance required (Tires, Tune up, Break Work)

Some dents on the hood.

See the distinctive white streak?

Bad tinting needed to be cleaned off, was actually causing the windows to stick.

Spoiler is in good condition.

While I'd love to get some turbo or supercharger action in there, for the time being it is unrealistic (funds).

Update: Oct/10/09

Tint completely removed and cleaned. All of my windows now role down. Pictures incoming.

Rear Passenger Side Window

Rear Driver Side Window

The front 2 windows are the same condition. I'm leaving the tint in place on the small rear windows as well as on the rear window itself. I managed to clean them substantially so they are more transparent. I'm paranoid if cutting my defroster lines on my rear window. So I dare not mess with it. While the 2 small sub windows in the backseats do no harm in being there.

I managed to fit some 6x9s in the back without cutting, using some ingenuity. My 2 front speakers are in extremely poor condition and perhaps next weekend my agenda will be to deal with the 2 front speakers, as well as my radio light.

Update: Oct/11/09

Here are some interior shots.

Dash Shot. No Crack, In pretty good condition

I Think I'll just replace the entire radio. It's a Double Din (obviously).

Dirty Engine and.... Everything. That may be a project to clean it.

Wider Engine Shot.

98' SL2

Re: 98 SL2 "Peppe"

nice satty
    ~sl1drver~

Comment

Re: 98 SL2 "Peppe"

bypass the a/c. lol thats what i did when i stopped working. too much money to fix it. and looks good. needs lowered IMO
      Fail on wheels<br /><br />98 sl-slow.&nbsp; H&amp;R springs with KYB gr2 +saw tooths along with ebay WAI<br />71 Honda CB350: Future vintage racer

Comment

Re: 98 SL2 &quot;Peppe&quot;

Lowing it sounds like a possibility. I'd love to get the A/C fixed, though I'm not sure what the problem is, and I bet your right that it will be very expensive.

I'm really diggin' this car, I gotta say. It'll be a driver car (my daily car) at the same time that I work on it.

I just posted an update as an edit to my original post. Look for the "update" tag to see what I did.
        98&#39; SL2

Comment

anything a/c is expensive. lol diggin the cat poop. but yeah lowering it was one of my fav mods. i suggest it
          Fail on wheels<br /><br />98 sl-slow.&nbsp; H&amp;R springs with KYB gr2 +saw tooths along with ebay WAI<br />71 Honda CB350: Future vintage racer

Comment

very nice. I'll take you front fenders please. LOL! j/k.

Comment

+1 on lowering it. It will look a LOT better. Nice find though. For some reason that spoiler sticks out to me, IDK why. But in a good way. Welcome to the board. I think you will do well here. Mostly because you already said that you know turbo/supercharge is not a realistic idea right now.

Anyway, welcome, and enjoy your car as a nice DD. Remember to fill your oil when you check your gas, and replace your ECTS, and you'll be set.

Comment

So does the skunk stripe come off? And not a bad find, quick fix and it'll be a solid DD.
                2000 Saturn SC2 DD... RIP
                2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L 4x4
                2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes

The car really is a great find. Like I said, lowering it might be a possibility, but now that I think a little bit more about it; I have these HUGE speed humps all over my neighborhood, to keep people from speeding in this elementary school neighborhood. Lowering it would probably make it difficult to go over those humps.

However, please do disagree. If any of you have lowered your saturns and successfully go over humps at 12-20mph (I generally maintain 15mph). I won't lie it's really annoying to get stuck behind these Hondas that are ridiculously lowered and go .5mph over the humps, I certainly don't want to be like one of them.

Edit: Oh yeah, the white stripe doesn't come off. Sadly it's some sort of spray paint or something. Not sure why someone would do that, but it's permanent.

Edit: It may not actually be spray paint. either way its VERY stubborn. I did manage to get a good chunk of it off the wind shield at least.
                  98&#39; SL2

Comment

lol ive hit them faster and ive been fine. but im not extremely low. just 1.5in with H&R and kyb-gr2. its a nice ride

Comment

I scrape bumps every once in a while with H&R sports with one coil cut off and the mustang GT lip. Just gotta be careful and it's no big deal. Being that you're in florida I'd say fix that AC, I did mine just had to buy a new hose and a recharge kit, you can probably fix it for under $100 bucks as long as the compressor isn't shot.
                      98 SL2m - Intake, Raceland coilovers, daily driver
                      94 SW2a>m - slammed and boosted 9 PSI - sloppymechanics.com inspired. Now owned by Importsdontlikeme.
                      94 SC2m - Build in progress, Ford EDIS, 720cc's, stock engine, MS2v3.57 7 on the road again

Comment

Originally posted by punkboySL2
                        Being that you're in florida I'd say fix that AC, I did mine just had to buy a new hose and a recharge kit, you can probably fix it for under $100 bucks as long as the compressor isn't shot.
                        Yeah, it is ridiculously hot here right now. It's not so bad when I'm moving, but stoplights bake me alive.

Thanks for the information about the humps. Lowering it sounds like a viable option.
                        98&#39; SL2

Comment

yeah depends on the springs you pick up. Go for like a 1.8 lower or even a 2.0. anything lower you might not be to happy. But, i dont have issues with the 2.5's on speed bumps what so ever.

Comment

Well the thing to keep in mind is these are not speed "bumps", these are speed "humps". They are about 12-18 inches tall, and several feet long. You can park your car ontop of them. They are designed in such a way that as your front end comes down, your back end comes up. It really causes people to slow down because they are absolutely vicious.

I'm not really worried about speed bumps so much, but these speed humps that seemed to be present in every neighborhood could pose a significant problem.
                            98&#39; SL2

Comment

a vue cluster only fits 3rd design interiors. it wont fit your car.

but i do have a pioneer head unit with the sleeve for a 2nd design interior (yours), its a good lil mp3 and ipod head unit. PM me if ur interested. not looking for a ton of money on it either.
                              Black 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
                              ZZP | GMPP |EBC |GM Stg2

Comment