No announcement yet.

Jon's first gen wagon v2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait for more updates. This is going to be an awesome build.

James
    sigpic
    Click these links for my many projects
    Shaved, Boosted, Purple Race Car
    '64 C10 Build Officially LQ/NV3500 Swapped and Bagged
    Soon to be bagged, LS Powered, '62 Impala

Comment

Wow that sits really far forward in the engine bay. Nice strut top mount, too.

-RuD
      TOY: 95 SW1 Turbo 5 spd DOHC swapped - Sold.
      DD: 04 ION Redline (stock)

Comment

that strut mount is totally custom! All my large diameter washers were for slightly smaller sae aircraft engine mount bolts so I was scrounging to find something to hang the ion sturt in the s-series mount.

Have all my final measurements this morning, managed to smash a toe a couple of days ago so I'm a bit behind but should start the subframe adapter mounts today and have it all bolted in by the end of the week so I can start work on the upper motor and trans mounts this weekend.
        Jonathan
        Just a guy with a thing for tubeframes and motorswaps...
        Saturns, I have them, too many of them actually
        sigpic

Comment

Jon, I have extra LSJ parts...when ever the mega squirt thing goes down I can load the truck up with them and bring them to you...Its always nice to have an extra block/crank/head. Some old cams too, but they are pretty rusty by now...I coated them with light oil but that was about 9 or 10trs back and the humidity got to them.
          -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
          1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
          1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Awesome!! Thanks Sam, I'll also gladly pay you for that second clutch fitting as well if you're not going to use it.
            Jonathan
            sigpic

Comment

Not going to use it. Its yours if you want.

Comment

SHit...I was trying to find a link to one of the lines and it looks like this one comes with the fitting.
                http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mc...2/media/images

Comment

Here's one that might be a little more reasonable for an FWD setup....They come in -4an, so a -3 to a -4 adaptor will need to be had.
                  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mc...4-17/overview/

Comment

ok random way overdue teaser and update

NOTE: these are not bolt in

Nice thing about having BC Racing NA local is when a certain saturn aftermarket parts supplier refuses to answer phone calls or emails for months on end you can have your cage builder hook you up with his friends at BC to custom make what you want. In this case we took what we had made for the ITA car last year and and developed it a bit more. These use cobalt lower pickups on the front to allow the front spindles from the ion redline to be retained while the rear was tweaked a bit more from the previous s-series pickups. I still have to have them mounted and corner weighted to see if they are exactly where I want them but I'm hopeful. The top hats are their base model ones, pillow ball front with camber adjustment and a fixed rubber bushing in the rear. It was between a set from a BMW and the WRX units as to what is closer but ended up with the WRX units this time. The rears will require me opening the holes up about 1/8in to fit the wrx parts but the fronts will require drilling two new holes. Still not bad for a one off coilover set. I'm looking at a different front caster camber setup that would be far and above better than anything we have seen for a saturn yet but it will require cutting and possibly welding on the strut tower to install but will be worth it. If I can pull those off then I'll move the BC camber plates to the rear.

Now for the bad news. (and slight glimmer of hope)
                    BC Racing is not going to be supporting the S-Series in their catalog, also they are not huge fans of doing all sorts of crazy custom stuff because then everyone wants one and it takes them a ton more work for less profit.
                    Basically if you call them they will say they don't make it and put down the saturn as a possible future platform but not something they are willing to invest in as small of a market as it is. I'm working on getting them to do more but it will take some time. Remember there are two sets in existence and they are both hybrid custom setups with no road testing yet. Not to mention these will not be a bolt in product even if everything goes well. We are an orphaned market after all.
                    Jonathan
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice and Purdy.

Comment

You rock man. I took my wife out in the Saturn the other night, and she complained the whole time. I can't say that I blame her. The ride is crazy rough and bouncy, which normally isn't a bad thing, giggity. It was more of the bridge overpasses, pavement changes, pebbles... okay so everything. If there ends up being another option out there, I am pretty sure I may have to jump on that. Thanks for leading the pack on that front. It is always cool to have someone that cares so much for these cars that they go out of their way to try and get stuff made and new vendors setup.

James
                        sigpic
                        Click these links for my many projects
                        Shaved, Boosted, Purple Race Car
                        '64 C10 Build Officially LQ/NV3500 Swapped and Bagged
                        Soon to be bagged, LS Powered, '62 Impala

Comment

Time for some updates!! well more just catching up on the build, still accumulating parts for the project, eventually I will have time away from work to finish the fabrication work. In the mean time some more photos of the measuring for the engine mounts as well as goodies that I've accumulated.

First up the donor car, an 06 Ion Redline, sadly not a competition package car but with only 58k on the car I'm not complaining too much. The car was wrecked after this picture by a spin in the rain that claimed the front bumper, lights, fenders, and hood with no frame damage. It wasn't enough to total it but enough to ruin the value of the car so the previous owners took the insurance money for the damage then sold it as is to me. In the end I got a steal and they were able to move on.
                          14e99020.jpg

Here are the boring pictures for most but may be some of the more helpful for anyone looking at doing this sort of swap. The caveat is that I have the engine and frame lifted up in the car to the point that it doesn't clear the stock hood line so that I could run a stock suspension geometry and axle angle while slamming the car as much as possible. Not quite to Dan level of slammed but around Seann's white wagon. Also ignore all the seam welds, was practicing with a new welder to get an idea what sort of settings worked best on the frame material using my spare fabrication frame before I started boxing in for the motor mounts.
                          _DSC9625.JPG
                          _DSC9627.JPG
                          _DSC9628.JPG
                          _DSC9629.JPG
                          _DSC9639.JPG

This gives an idea of how much height must be made up with the front adapter to bolt the ion subframe to the S-Series frame.
                          _DSC9636.JPG

Rather than going with more expensive rotated transmission mounts to help with wheel hop I went the cheap/easy way. Since I have a welder already it was simple to take the front mount bracket and flip it over to give roughly the same amount of rotation using stock mounts, possibly a little more. This picture is from before grinding the welds off and flipping them. In the end I ordered a set of polyurethane replacement bushings to install in the stock mounts. After running the One Lap of America event years ago I learned the importance of running as many stock parts as possible or at least modifying things to make stock parts work more efficiently if you have something break on the road letting you grab a replacement from the local parts store to keep going.
                          _DSC9632.JPG
                          Jonathan
                          sigpic

Comment

More goodies!
                            With all the gauge cluster trading you can do with third gen dashes I decided to do a little extra mixing and matching. The equinox and torrent clusters were always my favorite but for different reasons. One big thing is to have illuminated needles, it was always annoying to me with the third gen cluster in my 01 coupe. Sadly from what has been learned on the other swap the Ion bcm/pcm will not drive the third gen cluster directly. I had suspected there might be an issue as one car uses two canbus wires to the cluster while the other uses a single one. It looks like I will have to graft in part of a third gen harness and computer system to run the dash which I'm not entirely thrilled with. The entire 95 harness was removed from the car with the individual components and leads left to tie into the Ion harness used to drive everything. The only real exception so far has been the window switches as I'm using a third gen sedan/wagon switch wired to the 95 window harness. About the only affordable option I can come up with is to use one of the Chinese motec style dashes with the external sensor option so I can keep the obd2 port open for hptuners logging while driving. Since I wanted a stock looking interior (only using three innovate motorsports gauges tucked in a triple pod on the steering column) I may just have to deal with putting yet another harness in the car as it would be cheaper to get all the necessary third gen parts from a junkyard for less than buying anything aftermarket. Granted I might actually try an equinox or torrent harness and computers to see if that would solve the warning lights that don't always like to play nice between swapping the clusters into a third gen. Other option is to build an arduino or raspberry pi computer to just drive the cluster.
                            Before:
                            _DSC0882.JPG
                            After:
                            _DSC0887.JPG
                            The third gen dash installed in the 95 frame:
                            IMG-0054.JPG

Since I have so much room for activities between the engine and the firewall I decided to make the most of it with this rams horn header.
                            _DSC1114.JPG
                            Sadly out of this shot I think I'm only going to end up using the remote filter mount adapter plate. OTTP had a sale and since I already needed to get new injector cups as well as the replacement adapter fitting to run a return line from the fuel rail instead of the pulse dampener, I ordered up their LSJ replacement fuel rail.
                            _DSC1116.JPG
                            Jonathan
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X