X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Daily Driver Re-Build with a Twist update:TOTALED

My Daily Driver Re-Build

The car: 1998 SL SOHC manual. This car has been our daily driver for many, many years now and has seen many road trips and abuse. About two years ago it was found that the car has two bad valve seats on 2 and 3 cylinders. However we kept driving even though the power fell off but, it was still working. From there this last year we’ve noticed the coolant to be low from time to time with a hint of the smell in the air of it burning. As of recently we have only been able to tell were it has been coming from. Which the leak looks to be coming from between the head and block but, so save down time I’m going to rebuild another motor with the parts I have laying around.

Well, I’m going to do something different I’m not sure that has been done before.

These items are new to the car:

Block: 1994 SC2 DOHC complete bottom end
    Head: 1999 SL SOHC complete head
    OBX SOHC header
    Catco High Flow Cat
    2.25 Cat back
    Findaza Aluminum Flywheel
    Stock Clutch
    MP3 transmission to replace the MP2

I recently pulled out the DOHC block for cleaning and inspection which looks great. However before ordering bearings, rings etc…. I decided slap on a head from the SOHC. I needed to find out if I was going to run into any problems with the pistons and valves contacting since this was going to bump the compression to about 10.2-1 I think.

I slapped the Head gasket on along with the SOHC head and torqed things down good enough for the time being and set the timing. Lucky enough everything cleared there was no contact to be found between the DOHC bottom end and the SOHC top. So, things look good and are a go to order the rest of the parts for the rebuild.

The car currently consist of the following mods:

57MM tapered TB
    Short Ram Air Intake
    Dog Bone motor mounts
    Fart Cannon muffler
    2” Sprint Lowering Springs
    KYB Struts
    Upper front strut tower bar
    17x7 gunmetal wheels with a polished lip and 205 40 17 tires
    Tinted windows
    Some interior painted to match the Maroon exterior paint.

Out side of those things this car has been only used for Daily driving to and from work since we already have the turbo turd toy car and the family vue redline for the weekends. But, this build should be pretty good for a SOHC. I know there are other options to say swap to a DOHC. But, this is meant to keep things simple and cost effective and there’s no reason why this shouldn’t work now. But, when it’s all said and done I use the time and info from the old motor and setup and post it compared to the new setup when it’s done.
    It’s gonna take some time as it’s just gotten started and when money comes in parts will be ordered. So it’s slow going but, hopefully before the stock motor dies this will be done. If not no biggy there are plenty of cars to choose from.

I never thought I’d be excited about working on a SOHC. But, Who knew this should be fun.
    I’ll also have to post some current pictures and so on.

Re: My Daily Driver Re-Build with a Twist

Haha nice, SOHC [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]
    2000 SL2 5 speed, boosted, meth injected, parted out...268whp & 254wtq (stock pump maxed out)..

Comment

You need to dyno it when you're done. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]
      - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

absolutly i will dyno it!

i also plan to take it the the track and see what type of times it will put down. the old stock setup with an intake and muffler only ran a 17.2 years and years ago.

now i could be completely wrong but, i think it might put down close to a stock dohc saturn. but, i have no idea.

this weekend i'll be picking up the new timing chain set. next week i get paid i'll order my rings and bearing i hope or at least one of those. so hopefully say the middle of sept god, if not sooner it will be ready to go. knock on plastic.

but, i'll get some dirty pics of what i got so far and the car.

Comment

i will cry and go into a deep state of depression if you beat me.....hehe...should be a better DD no doubt, good luck.

-RuD
          TOY: 95 SW1 Turbo 5 spd DOHC swapped - Sold.
          DD: 04 ION Redline (stock)

Comment

we shall see. it would be nice to see any thing over 90hp or so.

Comment

see how come hes doesnt get massively flamed? lol

Good luck, im looking foreward to results! Especially I am planning on doing simmilar with the bottom end of my motor.
              It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Comment

Originally posted by ZombieSatty
                Because
                a) He's already got a turbo dohc
                b) As we saw with the body kit/paint discussion, he'll never listen to us anyways.

:lol:
                - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
                  Because
                  b) As we saw with the body kit/paint discussion, he'll never listen to us anyways.

:lol:
                  [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]

true.

most of the not listening on the body kit/paint was for a lack of money though. things always come up unexpected.

Comment

Good luck, im looking foreward to results! Especially I am planning on doing simmilar with the bottom end of my motor.
                    me too. it will all be posted along the way. i'll still get those pics so far. nothing exciting though but dirty parts right now. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
                      Because

And nobody has figured out that I dont listen either? :roll:

so your using a stock DOHC bottom end correct? I take it no one has been stupid enough/tried the whole mixing and matching rods and shaved pistons on a SOHC yet huh?

Comment

plenty of people swap a dohc head on to the sohc block. and variations of that. but, i've never heard anyone use a dohc bottom end with a sohc top.

and yes a stock dohc bottom end. just freshening up with rings/bearings and the standard rebuild stuff. the sohc head is good and ready to use.

but, yeah no ones ever bothers with sohc builds as most say upgrade to a dohc and be done. so, theres not a hole lot of knowledge on the sohc thing. with the exceptions of sw2low on his sohc turbo wagon. or those people with the sohc dont go past the bolt ons for a sohc.

but, i cant wait to get it done. problems is i'm excited and time moves slow from that point out.

Comment

does a cam count as 'past bolt ons'? lol

enough about me, sory

Comment

cams are an internal mod. imo that is not a bolt on.

Comment

*ahem*

Originally posted by JRSTANGE
                              a cam is an internal mod. imo that is not a bolt on.
                              fixed [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/juggle.gif[/img]

Comment