No announcement yet.

1995 Saturn SL2 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a clean 95 SW2 for a daily. Has 92k miles, zero rust (had to repair the rockers and subframe), auto, abs, trac control, fogs, power everything. Only issue is it was hit at some point and the driver's side fender and door panel are the wrong shade. But it makes for a great daily/ parts hauler so I can't complain.

Sedan now has different tags, limiting my use to once a week. I take it out every weekend to enjoy it. Planning on building a low comp engine with 91-93 SOHC pistons, regular 91-98 rods, gen 3 tie plate, ARP head studs, and stock everything else. I figure with the proper ring gap, tune, and maybe 10lbs of boost it should be an increase over 5 lbs or so that my 191k engine is being fed at the moment.
    Debating whether to get knocksense MS for detecting knock, detonation muffs, or an EGT gauge to further aid in tuning it. I personally think my tune is decent, but I have no clue how much power I am leaving out with my rather safe timing, as it hasn't blown up yet.

Comment

Boring stuff as I wait for school to come to an end to free up more time to do engine things:

Shiny paint and bikes

Comment

And some shots from the fall

Comment

Well, wanted to crank up the boost today but I think I need to throw a stiffer spring in the actuator as I can't get more than 4.5psi out of it.
          I have a "7-10 lb" spring but I can only see 4.5psi in the data logs. I am thinking the pressure from inside the exhaust housing (internally gated) plus the pressure on the actuator is enough to push open the wastegate, so I will try with a stiffer spring and see if I can get it up to 7 lbs or so.
          Also noted, I am back to a 2.25" thermal exhaust, but my downpipe is 2.5ft long of 3" with a very nice cone reducer to the 2.25" thermal. So I think backpressure may have something to do with it, but I am going to live with it because I really like the sound of the thermal.
          My plan is to run as much as I can on my 36lb/hr injectors at 80% duty cycle, so hopefully I can get another few psi in there. I'll probably get bigger injectors this summer, but I am trying to see how much fun I can have with my current setup.

Comment

Put in a "15-21" psi spring, netted 7psi. Runs a lot better on 7psi than I imagined, going to stay like this for a while.

Comment

Took it to a car show last weekend, a lot of people were curious about the turbo setup.

Comment

Having some intermittent oil burning on decel, most prominent when going downhill. I believe my drain line is to blame as it runs straight out of the pan for at least 4" before going vertical. Will address this soon...
                Checked the plugs, they look good, so I think the burning is happening in the turbo and downpipe and not through the stem seals.

Comment

Also another picture from the weekend...

Comment