No announcement yet.

1995 Saturn SL2 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently I did install a 2.25" cat to pass my final emissions test this year, as well as a trailer hitch to tow our small boat around. I also hooked up an 8" Polk audio sub powered by an Apline MRP-M500 amp. I have it running through speaker level inputs through the stock casette w/ 5-band equalizer head unit. I think the speakers in it are also Pioneers, but I installed them a while ago and didn't really care to document that. I also went back to the stock mp3 5th gear as I had no power going up the hills. I lost some low and mid range power with all of the things I have done so far, so I needed the higher rpm's on the highway.

Comment

To prepare for my upcoming stage 1 twin intake regrinds from American Custom Cam, I grabbed a gen3 tie plate/windage tray. Installing that was a pain, I didn't know clearance was an issue between the tie plate/windage tray and flywheel. I had to lower the subframe and jack the engine up just to have enough room to slip it in. Another issue I ran into was the tie plate inserts, as I did not have the special tool to torque them down. So, I used a 5/16 deep socket and ground two sides off of it to make the proper notches. It worked well and I was able to torque them down to the proper value.
      I also forgot to add earlier that I found clear side markers on ebay, and installed amber colored bulbs to compensate for the lack of orange in the side marker.

Comment

That's all I have for now. Im sure I will find that I missed something, but at least I have the bulk of it up now for good record keeping. Next thing is to install the regrinds and to maybe get it on a dyno (if any are open during this corona virus chaos).

Comment

Nice evolution
          Sixthsphere.com Owner
          2016 Honda Fit
          2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD
          2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Very nice. I have a hitch on the '99 and have been looking at LKQ for another hitch for the '98. I used to tow gliders with the'99. Was ok on the flats, on big NY hills it was underpowered.
            '99 SL2, 5SP bought new
            Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
            Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
            '98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Waiex191 View Post
              Very nice. I have a hitch on the '99 and have been looking at LKQ for another hitch for the '98. I used to tow gliders with the'99. Was ok on the flats, on big NY hills it was underpowered.
              Whenever I need power I keep it around 4k-5k, runs high but I figure its where I will have some decent power.

Comment

I got the reground twin intake cams from american custom cam installed recently, and finally got the car running halfway decent. Idle is extremly rich, which I believe is caused by a false lean reading to the PCM as there is some valve overlap. It also has a lean tip in below 2k, but that is because I have idle leaned out to prevent idle hang when shifting as well as flooding out when returning to idle. It seems if I have it lean it will run leaner for a few seconds (upon returning to idle) and then the pcm corrects for it, but it is enough time for it to return to idle before the pcm corrects with more fuel.
                Anyway, I used the 2X4 and clamp method to do the cam swap. I already had twin intake cams in it so the regrinds were able to be swapped right in. I used assembly lube on the cam journals and lobes, and followed the break in procedure given to me by american custom cam. I also used a break in additive that I mixed in with the oil prior to break in. I have since changed the oil and am monitering it for any sign of flakes.

Comment

Cool. We made a camshaft for our hovercraft. It's not lumpy enough, need to make another.

If the cams are reground, is there any extra lift? Do they grind away the round part of the cam?
                  '99 SL2, 5SP bought new
                  Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
                  Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
                  '98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Waiex191 View Post
                    Cool. We made a camshaft for our hovercraft. It's not lumpy enough, need to make another.

If the cams are reground, is there any extra lift? Do they grind away the round part of the cam?
                    I was informed that they grind away the round part, and the hydraulic lifters take up the slack. Since the lifters do no compress and the lobe is still the normal size, you gain lift and duration.

Comment