Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice: engine has a misfire on cylinder #1 that I cannot resolve. 2000 SL2 5spd, not the original motor to the car ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice: engine has a misfire on cylinder #1 that I cannot resolve. 2000 SL2 5spd, not the original motor to the car ...

Need some advice: engine has a misfire on cylinder Home that I cannot resolve.

2000 SL2 5spd, not the original motor to the car but has been solid with no issues or heavy oil use for the last 50k miles. Car consistently gets 36-38 mpg. Now I’m seeing 27-30 mpg and a loss of power.

Been running 5w30 full synthetic oil with services every 4K miles.

I checked the spark plug, it was wet and dirty. The others are nice. The piston is also wet. Exhaust smells rich but isn’t blowing smoke.

I swapped plugs, no change.

I swapped wires, no change.

I swapped coil packs, no change.

I swapped the ignition module, no change.

I cleaned the grounds and terminals on the ignition module and coil.

I have good spark at the cylinder. I replaced the fuel injector with another from a good running engine, no change. The fuel filter was replaced 600 miles ago.

I troubleshooted based on basic knowledge and from the factory service manual. What else am I missing??

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

More...
    PLEASE DO NOT SEND PM's TO THIS USER. YOUR MESSAGE WILL NOT BE RECEIVED.

THIS ACCOUNT IS NOT MONITORED, AND IS CONTROLLED BY THE FORUM SOFTWARE

do a compression test.
    http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment

Originally posted by leighv View Post
      do a compression test.
      i was gonna say the same thing, sounds like a burned valve. been there, done that.
      rings - 1996 sl2 ll0+mp2 - purple and gold - my first car and former dd. rear discs and all the trimmings, will outlive me even if i have to cut out half the damn car and weld it to what's left of mimas. which i may, incidentally, do someday.
      phoebe - 1995 sl1 l24+mp3 - silver and teal - got me into wrenching. break it fix it dd it break it etc. perpetually in progress. breaking news, short gears + sohc makes for a hell of a tow rig as saturns go but it sucks on the highway. has towed multiple other saturns as well as a toyota avalon one time. i hear people buy trucks for some reason?
      janus - 2000 sc2 l24+mp2 - very sunburned red and purple - yes, sohc. hasn't let me down once since the day i dropped the drivetrain from a 2000 sl1 in. the ultimate reliable but comfy backup car.
      tethys - 1994 sw2 ll0+mp3 - dark blue, silver, and white - field rescue. it's getting a turbo or i swear it's gonna be a driveway ornament forever.
      rip mimas - 1996 sw1 l24+mp3 - gold w/ plum hood & jelly bean door handles - just a trailer now. worst wreck i've ever been through.
      pandora - 1999 sc2 ll0+mp3 - dark blue and that's it. bought it right as pandora's box opened in march 2020. work truck despite being a 3dr coupe. i never said that makes sense.
      dione - 1998 sw2 ll0+mp6 until i take it apart - gorgeous white swagon that's currently rocking a locked-up motor. "the next big project".
      penny/iapetus - 1997 sw2 ll0+mp3 - friend's abandoned project. loaner to another friend. just a reliable dd.

russel - 1991 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 i6+aw4 auto+np231/d30/d35 4wd - silver, primer, and rust - body modded 4x4 toy/welding practice -- no lift whatsoever! kicks ass on the trail anyway.

Comment

i'm betting money on a waxed piston. maybe we'll get some carnage pics haha
        http://www.sixthsphere.com/smf/index.php?topic=62687.0

Comment