Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 SL2 5-speed manual420,000 milesIt has been burning oil for 15 years.It is burning 20 ounces every 600 miles. I only cha...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 SL2 5-speed manual420,000 milesIt has been burning oil for 15 years.It is burning 20 ounces every 600 miles. I only cha...

2001 SL2 5-speed manual

420,000 miles

It has been burning oil for 15 years.

It is burning 20 ounces every 600 miles. I only change the filter every 10,000 miles. No reason to change the oil anymore.

Last fall several things happened at once. Started misfiring under partial throttle under acceleration. Started throwing EGR codes. Replaced the EGR a few times. Turned out to be a plugged downstream catalytic converter. After replacing the cat, I installed a Delco EGR. No EGR issues since.

But then it started burning more oil. And shortly after it started misfiring on #3 cylinder.

I can watch the misfire count on my smart phone blue tooth to ODBII. It only misfires on #3 at idle. And it is a lot.

I assumed the increased oil burning and misfire were related.

I crossed my fingers that the piston's oil ring was stuck even more and allowing fuel/air to pass on the slower idle compression stroke.

So I did a piston soak.

I would get home from work, pull the #3 plug, and squirt in about 10cc's of Red Line SI-1 fuel system cleaner. Screw the spark plug back in. The next day just start and go, and repeat the process in the evening.

I'm still misfiring on every compression stroke of #3, but after 15 years of burning oil, I didn't burn ANY in 600 miles.

So the oil ring and the misfire might not be related.

Tonight I'll see if I can test the intake manifold gasket for leaks. Not sure how accessible that area is. Used to be you could check for a leak by blowing propane across the gasket and see if there are changes in idle.

Any other ideas?

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

More...
    PLEASE DO NOT SEND PM's TO THIS USER. YOUR MESSAGE WILL NOT BE RECEIVED.

THIS ACCOUNT IS NOT MONITORED, AND IS CONTROLLED BY THE FORUM SOFTWARE