Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys this is my 99 SL "Sunny". I have had this car for about 10 years, though I grew up riding in it before that because it belonged to my mom before it was given to me. She was my daily driver from ages 16-21. I've since collected several other vehicles, and I don't really drive this car much anymore. Although it only has 130k miles on it I'm considering pulling the engine and giving it a refresh. First reason is camshaft damage. I noticed this when replacing a valve c…over gasket. I'm not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys this is my 99 SL "Sunny". I have had this car for about 10 years, though I grew up riding in it before that because it belonged to my mom before it was given to me. She was my daily driver from ages 16-21. I've since collected several other vehicles, and I don't really drive this car much anymore. Although it only has 130k miles on it I'm considering pulling the engine and giving it a refresh. First reason is camshaft damage. I noticed this when replacing a valve c…over gasket. I'm not sure if th

Hey guys this is my 99 SL "Sunny". I have had this car for about 10 years, though I grew up riding in it before that because it belonged to my mom before it was given to me. She was my daily driver from ages 16-21. I've since collected several other vehicles, and I don't really drive this car much anymore. Although it only has 130k miles on it I'm considering pulling the engine and giving it a refresh. First reason is camshaft damage. I noticed this when replacing a valve c…over gasket. I'm not sure if this is a common issue on SOHC engines, but the tips of the cam lobes have significant pitting on them. When I pulled the lifters out, they had alarmingly large pits on the rollers. I put a new set of lifters in because I figured anything was better than what I pulled out. The old cam is still in there. Runs great, but the engine has kind of a harsh and rattley sound to it, worse the higher it's revved. I blame this on the damaged cam. Of course the second reason would be oil consumption. This car has never been particularly bad, maybe a qt/1200 or 1500 miles. New or drilled Pistons should fix that to where I don't need to add any with 3k oil change intervals. Looking for recommendations on brands of parts, specifically Pistons and camshafts. I have considered a DOHC swap, but I really hesitate to change this car too much from it's original form, it means a lot to me and I think of it as a family heirloom. It's always been there when my other scrap heaps don't run right or they are taken apart and I still have to get to work. In this build I am going for durability above anything else. I won't say no to more power but I love 42 mpg more than being able to piss off a Civic SI.

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

More...
    PLEASE DO NOT SEND PM's TO THIS USER. YOUR MESSAGE WILL NOT BE RECEIVED.

THIS ACCOUNT IS NOT MONITORED, AND IS CONTROLLED BY THE FORUM SOFTWARE