Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok Saturn owners, why is my car burning oil way more then usual? My family has owned 4 or 5 Saturns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Saturn owners, why is my car burning oil way more then usual? My family has owned 4 or 5 Saturns...

Ok Saturn owners, why is my car burning oil way more then usual? My family has owned 4 or 5 Saturns now, so oil consumption is nothing new at all. My car however needs at least a quart every tank of gas (around 350 miles). Is that normal? Or is there anything to look at other then ripping the motor apart? It's a 2001 SL1 5 speed with about 155k on the motor. TIA

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

More...
    PLEASE DO NOT SEND PM's TO THIS USER. YOUR MESSAGE WILL NOT BE RECEIVED.

THIS ACCOUNT IS NOT MONITORED, AND IS CONTROLLED BY THE FORUM SOFTWARE

-Oil burning:
    Unfortunately this is a reality of these cars. There are no drain back holes in the pistons. This allows oil in the oil control rings to overheat, and eventually form a hard varnish which freezes the oil control rings in place. You can try a piston soak with a mild solvent (MMO, GM piston ring cleaner), try real synthetic oil (higher flash point and better detergency), just add oil (what most people do), or rebuild the engine with drain holes drilled in the oil ring groove or replacement pistons that have them already.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena...blems-failures
    2002 Saturn SC1, Metallic Orange , L24 1.9 , 204,170 miles

Comment