Backfires at 5k in 3rd gear and up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backfires at 5k in 3rd gear and up.

Ok guy this if for my daily. I have a 98 sl2 also for my daily driver. It went out on me last weekend. I tooke off from a stop sign and about 200 feet later she just died. I towed her home. And I started trouble shooting her. I checked my plugs. Wires, my ignition modulator, I couldn't check my fuel pump. I switch alote of sensor s out except for a couple. When I tryed to start her one time she fired up well with a big ass back fire. Dame I wish I had a video. After that I knew to take my injectors and rail out and hook the up and see if I'm getting spray. Well here and their she will spray. Then I check the ignition modulator again for spark. No spark no fuel. Mmmmm vr. I bought a new one. And bam she starts. Hears the kicker. Now she wont go past 5k. I had a check engine light. My icm went out. I had a second one. That took care of that. But I still cant go past 5k. What I'm think either I jumped a tooth from the the big back fire. Or from starting her so much that my pump finnaly is wore out. She is running lean with I'm think fuel pump I'm lost guys. And I cant tell if she's backing throw the intake or the exhaust. I'm really thinking intake. And this only happens at 5k ant 3rd gear sometimes at 2nd gear. But not first gear at all. That where I'm lost at. Any ideas guys. I am think of taking my timing cover off and checking my timming. This weekend

What is the code from the the SES light? That sounds like a good place to start diag.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

It was the ignition control module. Witch I changed out and I'm throwing no code now but it's doing the same thing. Backfires at 5k.

Comment

Basically when I hit 5k. She backfires and I can hit any higher rpms. Like when iyou hit maximum rpms and redline. Honestly I think either I jumped my timing or my fuel pump is going out

Comment

Test fuel pressure. Rent a tester for the parts store if you do not have one.
          Though I do not think that it is. If it is back firing that would say there is enough fuel in there but it is not getting lit off at the right time.

If it is not too much trouble for you, you can pull the valve cover and keep turning the crank around and checking it at TDC (there is a mark on the pulley that lines up with a bump on the timing cover). After a 2 rotations at the most the crank mark and the cams should line up with the came in the UP position and you can see if the gears are both in the right spots. Also, if the top timing guide has been worn off, then it most likely has a timing issue..that guide is crucial on the 1st design timing chains.

An easy thing to check is your plug wire order. It should be 4-1-2-3 on the coil packs from the passenger side to the driver side on the coil packs.

If you have oil leaking into the plug wells, that can cause misfires on that cylinder. The air/fuel mixture may not be getting combusted in the cylinder and is getting ignited in the hot exhaust causing the back fire.
          Last edited by S.Bretz; 08-16-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Backfires.mp4

Comment

Ignore that. I tryed to load a video of what it is doing

Comment

I'll check everything tonight. And the fuel tomorrow I wish I can load a video for you that probably would help

Comment

Screenshot_20190817-205651_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190817-205704_Gallery.jpg. So these are my plugs for one week. I think she's running lean. But I did browse around. And I tottle past my o2 sensor. Their is a split right were wire meets up with the sensor. I did a test. And wile the car is running shes my volt meter only got to .685 . So I sodder it just see if I get a better connection. I did. It went to .721. She ran better and she backfires slightly now. Sometimes she doesn't. So I think I'm losing connection. And I checked my timing. It looks right on dile. But I think gide tenchaner is week. She has a little slack at tdc. To much but enough to day new timming kit for me.

Comment

And by the way I have to take screenshots of my pic cuz my phone is way to advance to lower the pixel to post on here. A galaxy Note 9 takes damn good pick no matter what.

Comment

If those are platinum plugs... take them out and put in regular copper core plugs. I bet that is your problem. The "fancy" plugs mess with the compression sensing on the ICM and that messes up the timing.

Put in regualr ngk bkre 5's for an NA engine. Switch to brke7s if you put nitrous of forced induction on it.
                      Last edited by S.Bretz; 08-18-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Their the standard ngk copper core. I did put my v power come comeback in. I ran a platinum a wile back I will never do that again. I'm getting new o2 and plugs.

Comment

IS it still running on the stock ECU or have you installed a MS?

Comment

This is my daily. I have 2 sl2s. Bolth 98s. It's the stock ecu.

Comment

I did just got done slapping a new pump in. It's a high flow pump. The same as I'm use for my other satty for boost. It's a quantum 255lph. Their is a little bit of modding to do if you use their filter witch I did the mod. But she starts up quicker and better. My o2 will be in on Tuesday. They sent the wrong one. I'm running 92 headers with is the 14mm thread and they sent me the 18mm I havent test drive it. The wife's out and I at home with the kids. Tomorrow I'll take her for a test drive and I'll check back in to see if I have any progress

Comment