No announcement yet.

Oil Bypass Pressure Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really can't remember. It may have been on the lighter side since i ran tight bearing clearance but i am not sure since i remember at times pouring in bottles of 20-50. I have been known to mix weights too.

When a bearing surface gets a hard shock from something like detonation the multigrade oils tend to temporarily break down to the low weight number. So by mixing in a bottle or two of heavier oil there are still stronger/larger/more protective oil molecules in the film to help protect the bearing surface from metal to metal contact.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

I tried tapping the valve yesterday, but the inner sleeve would start to rotate making it not possible to tap. You'd need to tack the pieces together to stop them from spinning. But I may just tack a restrictor plate to the top instead and call it a day. Hopefully I'll be successful today since I set a valve on fire yesterday doing that shit.
      Last edited by alexofnazareth; 06-09-2019, 09:04 AM.
      Originally posted by Donnie
      I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
      Originally posted by BC. Livewire
      if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

Comment

Hum... I did a few of them and never had the inner part spin. You could try to squeeze the vice a little tighter. I used to have vice jaw marks in the outer sleeve after I was done making one.
        -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
        1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
        1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

I wonder if that bypass valve that I got from RA was to replace the Oil Filter bypass valve, not the Oil Pump bypass valve...guess I'll check tonight.
          I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

nvm, there is no oil filter bypass valve in the block. I have no clue what RA is selling then.

Comment

What did you come up with on this? Were you able to tap the valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Comment

I ran out of valves to tap and ended up booger welding a restrictor plate on top. I wanted to avoid marring up the outside of the valve with my vice grips since It would gouge the TCC, but its probably not a big deal if it does. I'd recommend going the tap route for everyone else. lol

I don't have my gauges installed yet, but it seems like the oil pressure is higher since it caused my oil feed line fittings to leak down the back of my block a lot more than they did before. I'll be ordering a new fitting to weld onto a stock plug to fix that issue.

Comment

Man, with my H.C. engine, I was seeing 80psi cold idle, over 100 revving, 15 hot idle, and 60-70psi at 3000rpm hot. This all on 5w30. I never even thought about the bypass valve.
                  Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
                  2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
                  2002 SC2-New daily
                  2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
                  2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

Nice man!

Comment

Working...
                    X