Oil Bypass Pressure Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Bypass Pressure Mod

It's looking like the M12x1.5 tap is going to be the one to fit the bypass valve. Did you guys get one of those plugs with the allen key in the middle to screw into the tapped valve?
    Originally posted by Donnie
    I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.
    Originally posted by BC. Livewire
    if you hate seeing money going down the drane

than do not turbo your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixthsphere: Home of newbs, cunts, and Shane Jackson.

How does this work? Does it increase overall system pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Comment

I used to use a 1/8 inch NPT tap and them used a plug with a square head screw the restrictor in. But I has to grind down the top of the plug to make it clear the pump cover. If you can find one with the recessed allen then use that.

This works by restricting the oil flow back throw the bypass valve. System pressure is the same at lower rpms but will start to steadily increase as the RPMs increase. The pressure will build up pretty quickly to what the regulator in the bypass valve is and the it slowly increases with RPM from them. I used a 13/64th drill bit on the first one. I think a 1/4 would do just fine as well. I would not go smaller than the 13/64.

The only problem with this mod is that until the oil heats up and thins out you can see oil pressure well over 100psi on cold starts and high rpm. I lost a couple of stock sending units that way (they start to leak out of the top where the connector goes).
      -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
      1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
      1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

I'll need to take a picture of what I'm seeing once I'm home since 1/8" is tiny and the orifice into the valve where the oil pushes the plunger down is almost 1/2", hence why the 7/16 tap is the one I was thinking of going with.

Having higher oil pressures at higher RPMs makes sense to keep the lifters pumped up as well so they arent "collapsing" or allowing additional lash.
        I see a failboat, steaming full speed on an ocean of failsauce into a barrier reef of lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I’ve definitely seen lifter issues over the years especially when you ask the oil pump to send oil to the turbo or whatever. This may be something I’ll look into when I throw my new pistons in.

Interested in a solid engine management system? Ask me about Electromotive engine management.

Comment

Well it looks like the 3rd gen bypass valve is different than the replacement one I ordered. I'll have to look at the one with the second gen timing cover to see what's in there.

Comment

I double checked tap I used. It is 1/8 NPT. To be clear: I tapped the actual bypass valve itself, not the hole that it gets pressed into.

Comment

Would it be possible to retrofit a different/stronger bypass valve?

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz View Post
                  I double checked tap I used. It is 1/8 NPT. To be clear: I tapped the actual bypass valve itself, not the hole that it gets pressed into.
                  LOL. Yup, definitely not trying to tap the Bypass valve bore it presses into. I'll try again to measure shiz tonight.

What pressure does the stock bypass valve start opening up at?

Comment

Supposedly there are 2 sizes of bypass valves. The TCCs I have had the large valve with a 10mm opening. The smaller one has an 8mm opening.

Comment

What was the impetus for doing this mod, Sam? Was it due to you running heavier weight oil?
                      What kind of oil pressures were you seeing above 6000rpm before this mod?

Comment

I noticed the different sizes too. Is the smaller one for 3rd gen?

Comment

I'll need to check. Also I kinda need to get this together this weekend since I need to prepare to move again. I'm considering welding plate with an orifice drilled through it instead of trying to tap this deal so I dont need to get the plug.

Comment

I don't remember exactly what my pressures were before the mod but i do know that they were not at the recommended 10psi per 1000rpm. If i remember correctly they usually got up to around 50ish psi max with hot oil. Again it has been many years so i might be off a little.

With the mod i was seeing up around 75-80psi with hot oil in the 7500-7800rpm range. On a warm engine with warm oil it was over 90psi. Full cold the higest i recorded was around 130psi with a quick free rev... The stock sending unit for the low oil pressure dash light didn't like that. I used to keep an eye on the oil gauge while it was warming up to make sure i didn't go over 100psi and blow out the sending units. Once the temp was up past a 1/4 on the coolant temp the oil would thin out some and the pressure would come down a bit so i could then rev it out.

I ended up doing this mod because even with 20w-50 the pressure wasn't high on the stock bypass valve.
                            Last edited by S.Bretz; 06-07-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I definitely need to do this. I’m so tired of my stupid lifters collapsing.

What weight oil did you run after the mod Sam?

Comment

Working...
                              X