Mystery oil leak, need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery oil leak, need opinions

About 3 weeks back after I changed my oil I started smelling that familiar oil burning smell and wrote it off as oil that could've splashed on the exhaust pipe when I took the filter off. But the smell never went away and after cleaning the back and underside of the engine and driving it about 100 miles in 3 days, I found fresh oil on the engine-transmission stiffener plate. I believe I have an oil leak either from the rear main seal or oil pan where it meets the transmission.

The really odd part is the oil level as indicated on the dipstick hasn't changed a bit and although the car now marks it's territory, the spots aren't big at all, maybe the size of dimes after leaving the car idling for 20 minutes just to see how much it would leak out.

The fluid levels that DO change are the ATF and coolant. I last added a very small amount of coolant to turn off the low level light back in November, and it came on again today and was just barely below the full line. The transmission appears to be gradually seeping fluid from the bottom of the case despite my best efforts to seal it up properly after I reassembled it when I had the diff pin welded. In almost 3 months of use, I've had to refill it with about half a quart of ATF.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive it up on ramps and drop the tie plate and flywheel inspection cover to see if I can pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from.

Anyone know any quick fixes I can do in the mean time?
    01' SL2
    Scat rods, hyper pistons, ported head, etc
    header, AEM WAI, MSD coil packs, walboro 255, etc
    5 speed swap

Well I got lazy and didn't feel like unbolting everything... so I just heat wrapped the exhaust for now. Least it's not smoking anymore
    01' SL2
    5 speed swap

Comment

The heat wrap is just going to soak in the oil. I have seen cars catch fire due to this. I wouldn't let it go for too much longer like that.

James
      sigpic
      Click these links for my many projects
      Shaved, Boosted, Purple Race Car
      '64 C10 Build Officially LQ/NV3500 Swapped and Bagged
      Soon to be bagged, LS Powered, '62 Impala

Comment

The oil plugs in the block also like to back out and cause oil leaks. If you rev the engine a little the oil will come out faster.
        www.cardomain.com/id/sp1k3

Comment

I got 5 days off coming up starting thursday, and come to think of it I did pull the oil plugs when trying to find a good location for the auto meter oil pressure sending unit, and I've heard those bolt heads warp sometimes when you back them off. Might just have a winner there...

James I've been reading about that and supposedly DEI has stated that the wrap would only smolder and not combust even with oil. But for now though I'm just driving the truck
          01' SL2
          5 speed swap

Comment