Help - overheating, no heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - overheating, no heat

Before I get flamed, let me just say that this just happened on the way to work and I have not yet had the chance to get under the hood and look at things.

I was driving, and its cold as balls. Turned the heat on when temp gauge read about 1/4, but none was coming out (usual). Gauge got to its normal spot (just below 1/2), and still no heat - odd. Then the coolant gauge started climbing like an SOHC speedometer.

Had to turn around and baby the car home. Shut it off a few times to prevent it from hitting the red. All this time I still had no heat.

I going to guess... blown line to heater core? Only other thing that comes to mind is a head gasket... but I'd still get heat inside the car, right?
    ilostmysocketwrench | Bentra Motorsports Blog | Bentra Motorsports Videos

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck shut.
    2005 Toyota Echo - the daily... that's raced

Comment

Wouldn't the water pump circulate fluid into the heater core still?

Comment

sounds like sumpin is frozen....

How cold is it where you are?

Mine did that 2 weeks ago... i was driving to work, and my balls were cold... and the heater wasn't blowin' shit... and my temp kept goin up...

eventually, whatever was frozen thawed and heat started flowin, and the temps dropped quick... I'm just glad I had my manual fan switch...
        [img width=600 height=150]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/images/wejag665buljx09mu77e.jpg[/img]<br />99SL2 w/97SC2M Engine/Trans Swap, CAI, 2.25 Custom Exhaust

Comment

It got down to 21 deg last night...

But I have a coolant/water mix, I find it hard to believe that anything froze.

Comment

your battery light wasnt on huh?

Comment

Nope.

Powersteering was working fine... Belt is in tact as far as I know.

Comment

maybe heater core, or a line going to it is what I'm leaning toward
                -Vinny

Comment

That sounds exactly what happened to me when my heater core froze solid. I just stuck it in my garage with the bullet heater running for a few hours and everything was back to normal. Forgot to add anti-freeze when it started to get colder....oops.
                  [quote author="S.Bretz"]I couldn't get mine off when I was 16, I had to have someone else that was stronger then me pull it off. He almost took it in the fore head. It was quite comical from my point of view.[/quote]<br />[quote author="ProjectSW1"]it should be licking my asshole whilst jerking me off and giving occasional tongue lashings to mah nuts... WHILE FLYING MY ASS TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]<br />2005 Chili Pepper Red Redline - Carbon Fiber Badges, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, GMPP 2-pass endplate, soon OTT Stage 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Viperoni
                    Sounds like the thermostat is stuck shut.
                    Mines stuck open, LOL
                    STC New England FOUNDER
                    1998 JGC 5.9L V8 LIMITED - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246 (+450HP Brick)
                    [quote author=&quot;TURRRBOOO&quot;]Igot a pop-up that won&#39;t go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
                    [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                      maybe heater core, or a line going to it is what I'm leaning toward
                      That's my guess...plugged, perhaps.
                      -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                      -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                      -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                      -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                      -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

If the heater core was plugged, the car would not overheat....

Comment

ects? maybe its just messing with you?

Comment

Originally posted by ProDarwin
                            If the heater core was plugged, the car would not overheat....

Hows your water pump, it may not be moving the coolant around as much as you would like it to. I've had a bad water pump give overheating issues.
                            [quote author="S.Bretz"]I couldn't get mine off when I was 16, I had to have someone else that was stronger then me pull it off. He almost took it in the fore head. It was quite comical from my point of view.[/quote]<br />[quote author="ProjectSW1"]it should be licking my asshole whilst jerking me off and giving occasional tongue lashings to mah nuts... WHILE FLYING MY ASS TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]<br />2005 Chili Pepper Red Redline - Carbon Fiber Badges, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, GMPP 2-pass endplate, soon OTT Stage 1.

Comment

Water pumps don't go bad like that overnight. The impeller would have to pretty much disintegrate to cause that.

I'll look into it when I get home, but I'm actually leaning toward thermostat at the moment.

Comment