uneven tire wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uneven tire wear

ok, here's what's happening: the rear tires are wearing fine. the front tires in the last 3k miles have worn about twice as much in the center as on the outside.

at first i figured it was probably just overinflated tires, but i just checked the pressure. all 4 tires were at 34 PSI when warm. gotta wait for em to cool off to get the cold pressure. so it doesn't seem like the fronts would be overinflated if the back tires aren't wearing unevenly.

could bad alignment cause tires to wear in just the center?

i'd really appreciate any help ya'll can offer with this, cause at this rate i'm gonna need new tires in about 6-9k miles [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif[/img]
    94 SC2, manual, the whore that won't die
    96 SC2, auto, 146k, wife's car
    96 Formula, LT1, T56, T-tops, gas guzzling whore

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

most times it's just overinflation. are you sure your pressure gauge is right or you're reading it right?
    -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
      most times it's just overinflation. are you sure your pressure gauge is right or you're reading it right?
      pretty damn sure i'm reading it right. i'm about to go check the cold inflation pressure.

Comment

it could be the alignment, but usually that causes one side of a tire to wear not the center

Comment

Originally posted by jts749
          it could be the alignment, but usually that causes one side of a tire to wear not the center
          that's what's got me confused.

just checked pressure again. 31-32 psi all the way around. so if they are over-inflated, why wouldn't all 4 tires wear bad in the center? [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

[quote="aeroblu22"]
            Originally posted by jts749
            that's what's got me confused.

just checked pressure again. 31-32 psi all the way around. so if they are over-inflated, why wouldn't all 4 tires wear bad in the center? ics:
            STC New England FOUNDER
            1998 JGC 5.9L V8 LIMITED - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246 (+450HP Brick)
            [quote author="TURRRBOOO"]Igot a pop-up that won't go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
            [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment

if your tires are like (toe not camber)this / \ or this \ / it can do that but usually the whole tire wears from that

Comment

if you have a semi large amount of camber, then it will wear either the outside or the inside of your tires, not the whole thing. for example when i was running 2 degrees of negative camber, my inner contact patch went bald in only 5000 miles while the outsides were fine. unless your tires have different middle tread compounds, which are softer than the outside, it has to be over inflation
                -Tyler (aspiring automotive engineer)<br /><br /><br />POLLY DOESN&quot;T WANT A CRACKA, BITCH!

Comment

thats why i said toe not camber
                  if you have too much toe in or toe out on both tires it can wear the middle or outside faster depending on the shape of the tread

Comment

Camber effects the sides and toe effects the whole thing. Ill look tonight ryan. You may have some feathering going on as well.
                    2002 Saturn SL1- 5 speed, basic, slow, and staying that way.
                    1993 Lexus SC300- Project turning into gold...

Formerly knows as "Saturntuner05."
                    Too many past turds to list.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturntuner05
                      Camber effects the sides and toe effects the whole thing. Ill look tonight ryan. You may have some feathering going on as well.
                      thanks heath.

Comment

you're sure the front and back are supposed to be the same psi? on my old satty, it was 25 for front, 34 for back...
                        I don't even own a saturn....

Comment

1st try another guage and do it on cold tires.

Comment

Originally posted by hemken
                            1st try another guage and do it on cold tires.
                            i only have 1 gauge...

Comment

25 for front?!?
                              STC New England FOUNDER
                              1998 JGC 5.9L V8 LIMITED - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246 (+450HP Brick)
                              [quote author=&quot;TURRRBOOO&quot;]Igot a pop-up that won&#39;t go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
                              [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment