X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have some helpful tips and tricks, on how to

remove the engine and trans?

Thanks.

Buy a Haynes manual, separate your nuts and bolts in plastic baggies, label them if needed, keep track of your shit, don't lose parts, and sell any extra parts in the For Sale section, LOL.

Engine lift helps.
    STC New England FOUNDER
    1998 JGC 5.9L V8 LIMITED - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246 (+450HP Brick)
    [quote author="TURRRBOOO"]Igot a pop-up that won't go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
    [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment

Unhook all your sensors, reach around in the back and shit, make sure to get 'em all. Unhook the exhaust, take the axles out, hook up the engine lift, ubolt the mounts, lift the engine, make sure not to get it hooked on anything, pull the engine forward and out of the engine bay..........

<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2044407

Comment

these are all personal experience errors made during my 3 engine swaps

pull them together, at an angle... taking out the engine only is a pain you don't need

don't forget to disconnect the power steering pump...

if available, don't forget to disconnect the clutch hydraulics...

don't use a forklift... use an engine hoist

if I think of anymore, i'll post them...
        [img width=600 height=150]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/images/wejag665buljx09mu77e.jpg[/img]<br />99SL2 w/97SC2M Engine/Trans Swap, CAI, 2.25 Custom Exhaust

Comment

also, instead of lifting, you can drop the subframe as well. i use a lift to support, and lower it to the ground after undoing the 4 bolts. then drag that bish outta there. 1hr job at most. unhooking shit takes the longest.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectSW1
            pull them together, at an angle... taking out the engine only is a pain you don't need
            Although books may say this can't be done, it can. It's a bit of a pain, but worth it if you plan on pulling both anyways.
            STC New England FOUNDER
            [quote author=&quot;TURRRBOOO&quot;]Igot a pop-up that won&#39;t go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
            [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment

What's easier, pulling the engine and trans, or dropping the subframe, then removing the trans?
              When removing the engine and trans, does the rad. have to come out, and when removing the axles, will the trans fluid run out?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SStampede
                What's easier, pulling the engine and trans, or dropping the subframe, then removing the trans?
                Sounds like dropping it, but I have never attempted such a thing.

When removing the engine and trans, does the rad. have to come out, and when removing the axles, will the trans fluid run out?
                Yes, some if not a lot. Should do a trans flush anyways.

Thanks.
                No problem mang!
                STC New England FOUNDER
                [quote author=&quot;TURRRBOOO&quot;]Igot a pop-up that won&#39;t go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]

Comment

Don't break anything.
                  -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                  1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                  1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Out the top, if you're pullling them both, for sure....

Uhhh, yeah....before you do anything, drain the coolant, oil, and tranny fluid. It'll make the whole mess lighter as well
                    -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                    -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                    -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                    -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                    -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

DR. THUNDER!

Comment

I'm really looking at doing a trans swap, I'm kind of thinking just removing the sub frame, then the trans, then reinstall it.

Thanks.

Comment

I'm really looking at doing a trans swap, I'm kind of thinking just removing the sub frame, then the trans, then reinstall it.

Thanks.
                          good luck... I hope you have something that will lift the rest of the car high enuff to do that...
                          [img width=600 height=150]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/images/wejag665buljx09mu77e.jpg[/img]<br />99SL2 w/97SC2M Engine/Trans Swap, CAI, 2.25 Custom Exhaust

Comment

Loosen the passenger's side cradle bolts about 2 full 360 degree turns. Remove the dirver's side subframe bolts completly, remove the strut completely (or tie it out of the way using a lift as an anchor...if you have a lift)...remove trans out of front left fender well.
                            -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                            1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                            1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralliart16
                              DR. THUNDER!
                              DAMN YES!

Thanks.
                              Oh, if it's just the trans you're after....out the side it comes!

-2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                              -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                              -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                              -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                              -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment