Auto. Transmission help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto. Transmission help.

Some my recall I buy a SL2, with reverse problems. It has reverse when it's cold, but I have to rev it about 2500 rpms before it moves, but after it warms up, it doesn't have reverse at all. Does anyone know the fix? Or will a SOHC trans bolt up and operate with no problems? I've found a couple for about 150.00. Also can the trans be removed without pulling the engine, or what's the easiest way to remove?

Thanks.

Since it's an auto the sohc tranny will not work on it. You can pull the tranny without pulling the engine but from underneath and you have to drop the cradle. as far as a fix to no reverse when it's warm dont know I have had alot of auto tranny problems but not that one. I have heard that valve bodies go bad. Whats the mileage on it.
    OMAR<br /> NY Biatch!!!<br /><br />FIRST PROJECT DONE AND GONE. POSSIBLY, MAYBE, A SECOND PROJECT IN THE FUTURE???<br />[img width=473 height=230]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/schizzo941/decent%20shots/omarflamesignature.gif[/img]

Comment

Does it sit in neutral when you put it into reverse. Than lik bog and reverse kicks in. Ive seen that b4 on the autotragics. If so change your tranny fluid. Than park the car with the butt against a solid wall. Put it in reverse and let it sit like that running for about 30min. (Disclaimer: dont leave the car while its runnning) That should take care of it. I'm not sure if you need to change the fluid a 2nd time after letting it flush reverse. I got the adv from someone on TSN worked for me and a few others.
      2000 Saturn SC2 DD... RIP
      2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L 4x4
      2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

After it's warm, the only way it will move in reverse if I rev it to about 5000 grand, but then it will only move half an inch, if that.

Thanks.

Comment

Update, I'm getting a P0732, second gear incorrect ratio, I think that's what it said. What is that?

Thanks.

Comment

Stuck/Damaged valves FTL?

Friend of mine has a Jeep Grand Cherokee. First it started slipping into third. Then that stopped, but it wouldn't go into drive properly. Had to put it in 2nd or 1st first then to drive. Complete transmission flush with new fluid solved the problem. Can't assure you it will for you.
            STC New England FOUNDER
            1998 JGC 5.9L V8 LIMITED - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246 (+450HP Brick)
            [quote author=&quot;TURRRBOOO&quot;]Igot a pop-up that won&#39;t go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
            [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment

sounds like time for a auto to manual swap........I had this problem with a SW2, switching to a manual fixed everything

Jer
              Daily : 2011 Subaru WRX wagon
              Ex daily driver : 2000 SW2 5spd, First S-series w/Hein's true A-arm front suspension, First sedan/wagon w/coupe front end conversion, boxed in rear subframe, SPS 3-way rear swaybar, Corado 11" rotor swap w/Wilwood superlight 2 front calipers, rear disk swap, Deeb's built engine w/dual intake cam's, OBX header, High flow cat, Thermal exhaust, MSD wires and coils, AEM CAI, OBX rad hoses, custom short throw shifter, black leather swap, black interior swap and there's a stereo somewhere in there.
              Ex daily driver : 86 Fiero GT, 3800SC 4spd manual *SOLD*
              Project : 85 Fiero GT, with the heart and soul of a 04 ION redline

Check out my project car "Fierion"

www.coppertopautosports.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by coppertop_01
                sounds like time for a auto to manual swap........I had this problem with a SW2, switching to a manual fixed everything

Jer
                That's the fix for every AT problem... lol.

Sounds like maybe the valve-body is going bad? Maybe the internal clutches? IDK... post a video.

Comment

It also shifts in to second hard sometimes, skips around sometimes also, (from second to third, back to second). I'm just going to swap the trans out for another one, with less miles, for a couple hundred bucks. Swapping to a manual trans is not an option right now, maybe next time.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SStampede
                    It also shifts in to second hard sometimes, skips around sometimes also, (from second to third, back to second). I'm just going to swap the trans out for another one, with less miles, for a couple hundred bucks. Swapping to a manual trans is not an option right now, maybe next time.

Thanks.
                    Mang, just do a tranny flush first! Its a lot cheaper.
                    STC New England FOUNDER
                    [quote author=&quot;TURRRBOOO&quot;]Igot a pop-up that won&#39;t go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
                    [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

Comment

And another thing, it has low hum/grinding noise. When I put it in neutral, coasting, the noise goes away. I figure with 128,000 miles, it may be done for.

Thanks.

Comment

And another thing, it has low hum/grinding noise. When I put it in neutral, coasting, the noise goes away. I figure with 128,000 miles, it may be done for.

Thanks.
                        Thats cause you got the PERF button on [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]

Just kidding. Hey, if you got the cash, drop in another tranny. But I would still try the cheap tranny flush filter change first.
                        STC New England FOUNDER

Comment

Ok the grinnding noise is no good thats what my first tranny did and then one morning "hey look all my tranny fluid is leaking out."
                          OMAR<br /> NY Biatch!!!<br /><br />FIRST PROJECT DONE AND GONE. POSSIBLY, MAYBE, A SECOND PROJECT IN THE FUTURE???<br />[img width=473 height=230]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/schizzo941/decent%20shots/omarflamesignature.gif[/img]

Comment

I've found two trans, with about the same mileage and price, but one is still the car and the other is on the shelf ready to go. Which one to buy, I'm worried about the one on the shelf if it's fluid has been drained and been sitting awhile. Would that create more problems down the road?

Thanks.

Comment

I've found two trans, with about the same mileage and price, but one is still the car and the other is on the shelf ready to go. Which one to buy, I'm worried about the one on the shelf if it's fluid has been drained and been sitting awhile. Would that create more problems down the road?

Thanks.
                              Honestly, you never know with a junkyard, or any pulled trans these days. But as for the actual question, I am not really 100% sure, but I do not think it should have hurt anything. especially if it just drained, not flushed. And you never get it all out of the torque converter anyways.
                              STC New England FOUNDER

Comment