HELP!!!..NM found the prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!..NM found the prob

I'm usually very good at diagnosing problems and fixing them but this one has me stumped

When I'm driving and I make a left turn (even the slightest one) i get a squeeky kind of grinding noise. I get it about 90% of the time while making left turns and about 20% of the time going straight. Both half-shafts have been replaced, and both wheel bearings have benn replaced. there is nothing rubbing anywhere that I can see and the sound is in time with the spinning of the wheels not the motor (for whatever that's worth).

I put the car up on stands tonight and put it in gear and turned the steering wheel back forth...no noise. I got out and held first the drivers wheel from turning and then the pass wheel from turning with the steering wheel in both directions. I then got my floor jack and lifted the pass wheel up until it was compressed as much as it is on the ground....no noise. I then did this to the driver wheel...again no noise. keep in mind the car was in gear and either wheel was turning the whole time. no matter what I did I could not get the noise to caome back. As soon as I put the car back down ad drove it the noise came back.

My assumption is that it has something to do with when the weight is on the wheels which to me would say bearing ..but they are new. The only thing I can think is the diff is going bad. I do not have a welded diff pin

Any ideas would be great.....from people who know what they are doing...I don't want to hear "just replace everything again"

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!!!
    2004 Silver Subaru Forester 2.5XT: Blouch TD05 18G XT turbo, Clark Turner stage 5 tune @ 22psi, GMS turbo back, DW 850cc injectors, Walbro 255, Perrin 3 port EBCS, STI IC, WRX susp., STI rear sway bar, Silicon turbo inlet, phenolic intake spacers.

2002 Green Jeep Liberty Limited: 2" Old Man Emu lift. Wrangler Rubicon MOAB wheels, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, K&N intake.

jeremy says differential

Comment

Originally posted by omgitsElvisC
      jeremy says differential
      you know I knew that......but was in denial [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]
      2004 Silver Subaru Forester 2.5XT: Blouch TD05 18G XT turbo, Clark Turner stage 5 tune @ 22psi, GMS turbo back, DW 850cc injectors, Walbro 255, Perrin 3 port EBCS, STI IC, WRX susp., STI rear sway bar, Silicon turbo inlet, phenolic intake spacers.

2002 Green Jeep Liberty Limited: 2" Old Man Emu lift. Wrangler Rubicon MOAB wheels, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, K&N intake.

Comment

bad upper strut mount?

Comment

Originally posted by getz_999
          bad upper strut mount?

"there is nothing rubbing anywhere that I can see and the sound is in time with the spinning of the wheels not the motor (for whatever that's worth). "

don't think the strut mount spins with the wheels [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

its a saturn, it makes noise...

i say USM too for some reason

Comment

Melissa's has a mystrery squeak when going straight. I always though it was the CV boot ripples rubbing. Try greasing the boots and see if the noise goes away.

Other things to consider. does it do it in the striaght line when you are going over bumps? Could be a loose ball joint (wouldmake more of a clunk though) or the sway bar bushings squeaking, or the strut sweaking...but you said its with the speed of the car so all those are not likly.

Inspect the CV boots for rubbing, and take a look at your break pads too. Also, pull the caliper pins out and inspect those too. I have had a sqeak from one of those. Pull the pin out, get all the rust out of the caliper bracket, wire brush the pin, and get a gernerous amunt of brake caliper grease on it...put it back in.... If the inside of the caliper bracket is rusty, then you will need a small screw driver, or small scraper to get the rust...blow the hole out, and then brake spray it...then grease it.
              -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
              1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
              1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

I'll check into the brakes, at this point I'll try anything, but I'm not sure why they would mostly squeek whille turning left...never to the right......and only sometimes while going straight

Comment

Originally posted by bwtucker
                  I'll check into the brakes, at this point I'll try anything, but I'm not sure why they would mostly squeek whille turning left...never to the right......and only sometimes while going straight
                  Hmmm you know, that does remind me, towards the end of the summer on the wagon, my brakes were squeeking exactly like you mention. I had the Hawk HPS pads, and they were about half worn. Started to develop a groove in the rotor and a rise on the pad, just a little groove, same on both drivers and passenger sides too, and it would just squeek at times, but then it would stop sometimes too depending on what you did. Was pretty strange.

Try driving along and run the brakes a little and see if it stops when applied, or changes the tone.

--Adam
                  2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment

Well.......I've checked the tranny fluid for metal, checked the brakes, and greased the CV boot, still no indication of what's wrong. I've adopted a "turn the radio up to cover the noise up and drive it till it breaks policy" I'll definitly know what's wrong then [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img] . I have a friend of mine with a truck on "standbye" to tow me when I call.

Of course I could drive the thing off a cliif and solve the problem that way, there's plenty of them around

Comment

I want to say wheel bearing... does the noise increase with acceleration?

Comment

I am not sure if you said what year the car is? I have seen a few instances on the newer style axle seals 2000 and up that have the goofy metal cup or ring over the seals to help protect them. They can make an annoying squeak noise while driving. I replace a few sets of seals and also knocked the metal ring away from a axle seal slightly. Just a thought..

Adam

Comment

New development. The noise has gotten considerably louder but only happens when I let off the gas. If I'm accelerating there is no noise but as soon as I lift and the car is coasting it comes back. It is not the brakes...they are working fine

Comment

hmmmmmm
                            2007 chevy classic 2500hd 4x4 duramax
                            1996 383 lt1 auto trans am
                            1995 sl1. single cam of fury
                            1995 jeep wrangler lifted 4x4 4.0
                            1995 ford explorer 4x4

Comment

The pass side hub assembly is bad and destroyed the new bearing. All will be well by tomorrow.

Comment