Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR block off plate.

DOHC from a 1992 SC2, gonna be turbo...

Good idea to scrap and block off the EGR valve? How thick/strong would the piece of metal neeed to be? Reuse the gasket?

Just wanna do it right.

Thanks.

<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2044407

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-TB ... QQtcZphoto

Comment

Thanks. For 14 bucks, better off not cheaping out.

Comment

That is the one I have, a nice little piece. They have changed it a little, it looks nicer now.
        1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

I went to home depot, and got this like kickplate that goes on the doors of your house, like on the big swing doors that lead into kitchens of restaurants. They had it in aluminum, or steel in a larger sheet for like $8, I took the gasket, traced it on there, and cut it out with some snips. Then put that on the gasket, then the egr valve over that. Ive also made radiator shrouds out of it as well, pretty sturdy.
          English: Put it in the butt <br />Spanish: Metalo en el culo <br />French: Je vais t'enculer <br />Italian:Immettalo nel culo <br />German: Steck es ins Arsch ein <br />Dutch: Zet hem in het doelwit<br />Greek: Valto mesa sto kolo <br />Portuguese: Meta-o no cu <br />Russian: ?????? ? ??? (zasun' v zad) <br />Turkish: Gأ¶tأ¼ne koymak <br />Norwegian: Anbringer det i klubben <br />Armenian: Voreet Meche Beedee Khotem <br />Danish: Stik det op i roeven <br />Icelandic: Troddu أ¾vأ­ upp أ­ rassgatiأ° أ، أ¾أ©r <br />Japanese: Oshiri nioru

Comment

OK this may be a stupid question.

But what advantage do you have from blocking off the EGR?

And do you have to do anything with the connector that used to plug into the EGR or just leave it hanging in the engine compartment?

Comment

Originally posted by hellix2484

And do you have to do anything with the connector that used to plug into the EGR or just leave it hanging in the engine compartment?
              unless you are running nitrous or some sort of f/i I don't believe there really is any benefit aside from the intake manifold staying cleaner longer.

the egr only opens under part or wot, not both (I forget which one at the moment), so either way you won't have a huge benefit from blocking it off.
              -Vinny

Comment

A cheaper EGR block off plate is available at most intersections late at night if you own some nice sharp tin-snips...

Chunk O' Stop Sign FTW! [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]
                [img width=600 height=150]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/images/wejag665buljx09mu77e.jpg[/img]<br />99SL2 w/97SC2M Engine/Trans Swap, CAI, 2.25 Custom Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                  Originally posted by hellix2484

unless you are running nitrous or some sort of f/i I don't believe there really is any benefit aside from the intake manifold staying cleaner longer.

the egr only opens under part or wot, not both (I forget which one at the moment), so either way you won't have a huge benefit from blocking it off.
                  Pretty much.

The EGR only will open

-At Cruise under partial throttle, constant speed.

The EGR is closed:

-At WOT
                  -Under increased load
                  -At idle
                  -when the engine is cold.
                  -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                  -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                  -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                  -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                  -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

yeah thats what it was, thanks Nathan

I remember I think it was Jeremy who kept melting a plug until he plugged his, so most of our nitrous guys plug theirs as well.
                    -Vinny

Comment

Can't I use the vacuum hose from it for a boost gauge?

Comment

as long as the reference it uses is off the intake manifold you should be good to go
                        -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by barristo
                          it goes to right in front of the throttle plate which is why the egr only opens at cruise/partial throttle
                          id find a better source
                          i used the vacuum line for the fpr for my vacuum guage

Comment

Originally posted by jts749
                            Originally posted by barristo
                            it goes to right in front of the throttle plate which is why the egr only opens at cruise/partial throttle
                            id find a better source
                            i used the vacuum line for the fpr for my vacuum guage
                            ok that would work fine then actually, no reason it wouldn't since it's right at the plate.

the main reason I dont' suggest people use the FPR line is you don't want a leak where the T is or at the gauge since it will alter your fuel delivery.
                            -Vinny

Comment

So, do it?

Comment