Car dies. Alot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dies. Alot.

It did this intermittantly before. I drove to Walmart, and it was okay, but on the way back, it died every single time I took it out of gear without revving it up. It won't idle without my foot on the gas.

Here's what I know:

Negative terminal of my battery is flakey, but it still was reading 12.5 with the car off and 14.2-14.8 with the car on.

Power delivery feels choppy...and less powerful overall.

Still running lean under partial throttle sometimes

IAC? I don't know why it would just up and die like that....
    -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
    -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
    -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
    -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
    -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Try blocking off the egr vavle and see if that helps. The SES will set, but you will know if its the valve causing it or not...if you don't feel like $200 for a new valve and can live with the SES light, then leave it blocked off.

I had an o2 sensor reading wrong before, but it was within specs....it would read rich as shit when it was really lean. It caused it to not hold idle, buck and barly run unless it was full throttle.

You could also have a bad fuel pump, or a bad regulator, or a clogged fuel filter. On your year the filter has the regulator built in. If yo haven't replaced it in that last 40k or so, then try that. If you have a fuel pressure guage, you can check the line pressure before spending the cash on a fuel filter.

Are the spark plugs in the right order...4-1-2-3 on the coils. Did you put those crappy platinums in? Or msd coil packs. Try all stock stuff.

Is the cts ok. If its original, then replace it and the connector. Make sure you get the brass tipped one. REPLACE THE CONNECTOR TOO!

Are you getting a cylinder1 miss fire? check the vacuum lines between the cylinder1 vacuum port and the air injection system (if you have air injection...ohh this may only apply to the DOHC)......SOHC's get an intake manifold gasket leak around the cylinder 1...spray some crab/t-body cleaner in that area while its running and see if the idle changes...if so replace the intake gasket.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

EGR is already blocked off. I'll get the codes pulled again, I guess.

Car has a 1998 DOHC head. No AIR injection. Spark plugs are stock ones, gapped correctly and in the right order. Car ran fine all week until now.

CTS is original, but wasn't cracked when I checked it a few months ago. I was going to replace it anyways.

Could be fuel filter, I guess...I know I've ran it pretty low a couple of times.
      -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero

Comment

you know i just did this now
        my wifes car had the same symptom except it stalls once then starts back up and runs fine
        so i raised the idle and unplugged the iac to leave it there and now it s fine so i think its that
        try unpluggin it when its idling cold and then drive it and see what happens
        sigpic-VOLVO 745T 175K MBC ...
        - 9 BOLT Aluminum Intake 3rd gen sedan... Beige... 160K

You're so crazy! enough in a way that i'll probably say you destroyed me!
        ~The Used

Comment

It's a Saturn... [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_razz.gif[/img]
          2015 Ford Mustang - DD
          2013 Kia Sorento SX V6
          1978 Buick Century Custom - 42k Original Miles

Comment

It doesn't idle cold. You start it, it runs for half a second, and dies, unless you're giving it gas.
            -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero

Comment

faulty map sensor
              Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
              2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
              2002 SC2-New daily
              2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
              2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

I've got the AFC hooked up, so I can check the MAP sesnor voltages and pressure and stuff...I'll look in the service manual and check it, unless you got an easier way.
                -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero

Comment

Did this start just after the afc was installed?

Comment

No. I've had the AFC installed for several months now, and it's been running great and the AFC works fine.

There was nothing done to provoke this...it just started out of nowhere.
                    -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero

Comment

From a cold start, how long does it take to start acting up?

Comment

I'll let you know tomorrow....warm, though, it died within a second.
                        -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero

Comment

Drove the car yesterday.

Cold start. 5 min drive to gas station. Idled shittily, but ran....loss of power detected.

Warmed up. 5 min drive to friend's house. Will not idle. Died whenever not gassing or not in gear.

Warmed up. 20 min drive to other friend's house. Would not idle, died every time I let off again....pulled into his driveway and it idled poorly.

Sat for 2.5 hours.

Cold start, 20 minute drive back to my house. Ran flawlessly. Didn't run lean, Idled like a champ, all the power was there.

God dammit.

Fuel filter...?
                          -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero

Comment

just start throwing parts at it lol

Comment

well sounds like when I had the same problem. I blocked the EGR thinking it was it but it wasnt still died some days. It took trying to install an aftermarket water temp gauge to find out the connecter to the CTS was almost falling apart, replaced it and no more problems.
                              Steven
                              <br />[quote author="Saturntuner05"] haha, s-series owned a redline.[/quote]<br />[quote author="koolkash_45"]so ive heard from different people and different forums that when you change the water pump you to pack it with vasoline. what is the point of this because i read the how to an SF and i also downloaded the FSM's how to from PR and neither said anything about packing it.[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                              X