Valve Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Cover

I have the black cover on my 95 DOHC and it just wont stop leaking in one certain spot. I bought a gasket from the dealership and put a dab where it meets the TC cover and it still leaks pretty bad. I think I read somewhere a while back that the aluminum ones seal better on my year car. Any thoughts?
    Steven
    <br />[quote author="Saturntuner05"] haha, s-series owned a redline.[/quote]<br />[quote author="koolkash_45"]so ive heard from different people and different forums that when you change the water pump you to pack it with vasoline. what is the point of this because i read the how to an SF and i also downloaded the FSM's how to from PR and neither said anything about packing it.[/quote]

95 = aluminum cover.

where is it leaking from specifically? And is this a 95 head? or a different year?

Comment

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
      95 = aluminum cover.

where is it leaking from specifically? And is this a 95 head? or a different year?
      I know its suppose to have the aluminum that was the reason for the post. I have the black composite cover on there now. So my original concern was should the aluminum one seal better???

It's leaking on the left front looking at the engine bay.
      Steven
      <br />[quote author="Saturntuner05"] haha, s-series owned a redline.[/quote]<br />[quote author="koolkash_45"]so ive heard from different people and different forums that when you change the water pump you to pack it with vasoline. what is the point of this because i read the how to an SF and i also downloaded the FSM's how to from PR and neither said anything about packing it.[/quote]

Comment

Make sure the gasket is really clean and the head is really clean before you put the sealant on there. If there is old silicone, it will hold some oil no matter how much brake spray you hit it with. You will need to wire wheel off all the ols shit. spray it with cleaner...and then while its still wet, use a CLEAN cloth and wipe it. Then spray it again, and wipe it AGIAN until you have no more gray stuff coming off ans sticking to the cloth.

Put 2 dabs (about 8mm-10mm) at those joints and clamp her down.

Also, make sure there is no oil between he gasket and the cover. Pull the gasket out, and clean it really really good. Also spray out the receiving grove for the gasket and let it dry.

Once you put the cover on, try to let it set up for about 30 minutes before you crank it up...it lets the silicone dry a little.
        -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
        1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
        1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz
          Make sure the gasket is really clean and the head is really clean before you put the sealant on there. If there is old silicone, it will hold some oil no matter how much brake spray you hit it with. You will need to wire wheel off all the ols shit. spray it with cleaner...and then while its still wet, use a CLEAN cloth and wipe it. Then spray it again, and wipe it AGIAN until you have no more gray stuff coming off ans sticking to the cloth.

Also, make sure there is no oil between he gasket and the cover. Pull the gasket out, and clean it really really good. Also spray out the receiving grove for the gasket and let it dry.

Once you put the cover on, try to let it set up for about 30 minutes before you crank it up...it lets the silicone dry a little.
          so I should just keep the black cover and reuse the gasket or get a new one?
          Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Nyce

so I should just keep the black cover and reuse the gasket or get a new one?
            yeah you should be fine if you clean it REALLY good. Sorry to hi-jack but I need to know if the same black composite VC he has was used on third gen? I have a 99 VC in my garage and need to know if it is the same as the one installed thanx.
            sigpic

Comment

99+ was a thinner design. It WILL NOT fit on the 91-98 heads.

If the gasket in the compostie cover is new (less then a year or so) then I would jsut clean it off and reuse it...its suppose to be reusesable, but after they have been on there for a few years, the rubber starts to get hard and dries out...so in that case, I would recommend a new gasket.

Comment

I just did mine the other day on my DD. And i did it the exact same way i did it on the engine on "Project Turbo Bitch" before it blew, which was.

1. Pull the VC off and clean the head super good with a razor blade.
                2. Pull off the old gasket and clean the VC with parts cleaner.
                3. Run a small bead of sealant in the grove for the gasket.
                4. Run a small bead of sealant on the head where the gasket will seal.
                5. Bolt down the valve cover and snap at least one bolt in the head.
                6. Curse
                7. Throw ratchet
                8. Find drill bits and bolt extractors and drill
                9. Remove broken stud
                10. Replace broken stud with stud stolen from junkyard, do not over tighten, enjoy not having an oil leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon94sc2
                  I just did mine the other day on my DD. And i did it the exact same way i did it on the engine on "Project Turbo Bitch" before it blew, which was.

1. Pull the VC off and clean the head super good with a razor blade.
                  2. Pull off the old gasket and clean the VC with parts cleaner.
                  3. Run a small bead of sealant in the grove for the gasket.
                  4. Run a small bead of sealant on the head where the gasket will seal.
                  5. Bolt down the valve cover and snap at least one bolt in the head.
                  6. Curse
                  7. Throw ratchet
                  8. Find drill bits and bolt extractors and drill
                  9. Remove broken stud
                  10. Replace broken stud with stud stolen from junkyard, do not over tighten, enjoy not having an oil leak.
                  And for cryin' out loud... while you're at it, check your intake manifold gasket.

Also... if it is leaking from your VC gasket... change the pcv valve.

Comment

99+ was a thinner design. It WILL NOT fit on the 91-98 heads.
                    What?! Seriously? If so, FUCK! You'll be seeing a valve cover for sale soon. I never checked just asumed they were the same design.

Is there any way to tell for sure what design you have? Bought one from RotorNut that has Sprint's wrinkle coat done and I was told it was for a 3rd gen.

Comment

3rd gen is 99+. It WILL NOT fit 91-98 heads.

Comment

So what is really so different about em?

Comment

Originally posted by scottyr94

When Turbo said thinner he means the 3rd gen head is uhm.... not as wide. Does that sound better? Narrower? Help me here guys, lol!

lol, yeah you definately will NOT mistake one for the other!!
                          I Only Worry When My SES Light Goes Out....

I'm Officially in the 200,000+ mile club

Comment

Ok, gotcha. I'll make it easier and just compare it to the 98 one I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter
                              Originally posted by scottyr94

When Turbo said thinner he means the 3rd gen head is uhm.... not as wide. Does that sound better? Narrower? Help me here guys, lol!
                              latitudely challenged?

Comment