coil pack location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil pack location

this prolly sounds ignorant [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/confused.gif[/img] but whatever. i see on other saturns that they relocate thier coil packs to the firewall. can i do this with no problem or does it require modification. its a 93 sl1 with dohc swap. i would preferably like comments from like moderators who know what they r talking about but anything helps.
    thanx

First, most of the guys that have moved their coil-pack locations, have a full stand-alone engine management system in their car, which uses a different ICM. If you are going to move your coil packs and ICM... you need to make a metal suface... but NOTE... don't move it any further in total distance than what it is right now... or your plug wires will not reach.

If anyone else has any other input, I'm sure they'll chime in.

Comment

honestly I havent seen anyone move it to the firewall cause theres just not much real estate up there. And you can make it longer if need be, you just need longer wires. I think if I were to attempt this I would go for the top of the bellhousing. Never tried it before so I couldn't tell you if it would work or not.

also, plan to extend the wire harness if you decide to move it cause im sure its not going to reach the new location

Comment

Try to put the metal plate on the underside of the ICM in a cool place....that plate is NOT a ground, its a heat sink...the module has grounds threw the harness, and the coils ground threw the bolts.

Youcan put it about anywhere you want. MSD makes universal (DIY) wire sets with pretty long wires.
        -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
        1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
        1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

He is asking this question cuz of Ian. Deej there is no point in moving the coils anyways. also its placed there cuz the cooling fan is right there to cool it.
          2002 Saturn SL1- 5 speed, basic, slow, and staying that way.
          1993 Lexus SC300- Project turning into gold...

Formerly knows as "Saturntuner05."
          Too many past turds to list.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturntuner05
            He is asking this question cuz of Ian. Deej there is no point in moving the coils anyways. also its placed there cuz the cooling fan is right there to cool it.

[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/signs-yeahthat.gif[/img]

Comment