What caused this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What caused this?

Wheres my Saturn Ferensics that I self dubbed and titled?

http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=14055

Could this have been cause by having 215/40/17 tires?
    STC New England FOUNDER
    1998 JGC 5.9L V8 LIMITED - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246 (+450HP Brick)
    [quote author="TURRRBOOO"]Igot a pop-up that won't go away...quick, some one rub it.[/quote]
    [quote author=SL2clone]<br />Straight pipes sound like wet ass in a bathtub.[/quote]

that didnt happen because of your tires. That happened because the locking nut wasn't tightened down enough. The tires probably made the ride harsher and therefore it progressed more quickly but that's not what was at fault. And welding the locking nut on IS NOT the answer. Nor is it tightening that nut as much as humanly possible. Make sure the inner tie rod is not shot(and if it's been welded I would assume it is now if it wasnt before) and tighten that nut down properly. The problem with welding it is you have officially lose ALL of your adjustment on that side. You can get the total toe into spec most likely by offsetting the other side enough to compensate, but if both sides are now off spec. then your tires are going to wear very quickly. and the car will not ride well depending on how off they are.

You really need to fix this right, I would replace both tie rods(inner and outer) if they are now damaged. And bring it to a reliable shop, like the dealer to be certain that it is done properly.

Comment

OMG yea, what he said lol.

--Adam
      2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment

Waaa......I need special access to enter that part of the forum.
        [quote author="S.Bretz"]I couldn't get mine off when I was 16, I had to have someone else that was stronger then me pull it off. He almost took it in the fore head. It was quite comical from my point of view.[/quote]<br />[quote author="ProjectSW1"]it should be licking my asshole whilst jerking me off and giving occasional tongue lashings to mah nuts... WHILE FLYING MY ASS TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]<br />2005 Chili Pepper Red Redline - Carbon Fiber Badges, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, GMPP 2-pass endplate, soon OTT Stage 1.

Comment

Originally posted by DefStatic
          Bad news... I broke a tie rod while drivng...

Good news... it was while I was pullling out of McDonalds...

I had been getting this clicking noise whenever I would go reverese and had the wheel turned hard to the right. We thought it was something with the rebuilt axel we had replaced. Guess it wasn't. This was on going for about a year or so.

Anyways...

So I was going to work. I noticed for some reason that whenever I hit a crown on the road and such that the car really wanted to pull right. I thought either it was some really bad crowns or my right tire was low again (since I have had wider tires on my car, I noticed it likes to do these things).

So I dismissed it for the time, even though it was worse than normal. I was running late, but it was snowing and I was coming in on my day off, so I didn't care. I stopped by McD's for some breakfast. As I pulled out onto Pleasant St in Brunswick into the second lane, I hear this awful snap and then a crunch. I go "OH SHIT". I am now stuck, unable to turn.

So I get out and look and didn't see anything right away. I am freaking cause I forgot my cell and I was blocking an entire lane of traffic. I get back in and try to move again, can't seem to go anywhere/ So I straighten the wheel out and get out again. Left tire is straight, right tire is still turned. I knew I had broke a tie rod, and I could then see it was disconnected. I was going to walk back into McDs and call AAA when I relaized I was also right in the direct path of the Brunswick Ford Dealership across the streen.

So I waited for oncoming traffic to stop and manuvauerd my car into their parking lot. Thank someone it was snowing, otherwise I would have done a lot more damage trying to drag that tire. As soo as I pulled in, a tech or sales person came out and said "You look like you could use some help!"

So I went ahead and let them look at it in there garage. They said if I didn't have them work on it, it would cost me aroun $24. I felt bad because they were being extremely nice, let me make phone calls, I receieved a few phone calls, offered me a ride to work, asked if they should look for tires for me cause mine are awful, and setup my car to be towed, so I let them look at it. They confirmed it was the outer and inner tie rods (it was actually just the outer) and said with the alignment, it would cost a little over $500. I said "No thanks!" and that I acutally had the tie rod at my house and my dad was a mechanic.

Tow truck came pretty quickly considering the weather. The guy had an awesome tow truck, one the nicest I had ever been in. He offerec to take me to his garage, and it would only run me around $100. I told him if I had broke down infront of his garage, I would have, but seeing as I already spent $25 at the Ford place, another $15 for the tow (AAA only covers first 5 miles) and had the part at my house, that I was just going to do it at home.

Got the car home. My dad noticed that the outer tie rod was not broken, but had some how become disconnected. When he took it off, he said he saw something he had never seen before. The outer tie rod had actualyl some how wiggled its way off, warping and hollowing out the area where it screws into the inner tie rod. It could now be simply pushed on and off the inner tie rod.

I had gotten it replaced before, and it had a warranty. So I brought it back to VIP and got a new one. Now they only have a limited warranty on them that only covers manufacturing defects, not wearing out. This was not a typical wear out, so I think they would replace it again if I had to. My dad was so freaked by seeing what had happened, he decided this time to tighten it as much as humanly possible to the inner and also put a tiny weld on it. So now when I get my alignment, they wont be able to make an adjustments from that side, and have to do most of it from the other side. Not sure if this is going to be a problem, or if the original problem arose from poor adjusments on the last alignment.

Sp yeah, I ended up having the day off anyways, what a way to spend Martin Luther King Jr Day off. LOL.

Comment

SOunds like it wasn't tightened down enough, or was over torqued...or just worn out and neglected. Tires won't cause that.
            -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
            1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
            1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

if you have about 150,000 miles on the car you need to think about rebuilding the hole frunt in

this means you need to check all the joints in the frunt with a big ass priy bar

you may find that your car is in need of some ball joints and tie rods

Comment

BC, can you elaborate on how you would check your joints with a pry bar? what do you do and what do you look for?
                He who won't read has no advantage over he who cannot. Repeat after me: Investigate. Learn. Discover. Ignorance is not bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by Vendetta
                  BC, can you elaborate on how you would check your joints with a pry bar? what do you do and what do you look for?
                  No shit... jack the car up... grab the tire... and see if it jimmies left and right at all.

Comment

bingo

inshort :: you need to try working on your car

Comment

Originally posted by BC. Livewire
                      bingo

LOL... I would if I could right now... but I ain't gettin' my balls frozen to the stool outside. kthainx... lol.

Comment

Originally posted by project92SC2
                        Originally posted by BC. Livewire
                        bingo

LOL... I would if I could right now... but I ain't gettin' my balls frozen to the stool outside. kthainx... lol.
                        He was talking about the other guy.
                        - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment