My car is ghey (part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car is ghey (part 2)

Okay, got the header flanges machined flat, new SPS copper gasket for downpipe flange. Bolted everything up nice and good. It STILL makes a 'whistling' sound, although just briefly at around 2000 rpms. Okay, gay, but whatever.

But now when its idling it does wacky shit. It will run REALLY lean to the point of stalling. Then when i just tap the gas a bit, the rpms shoot up and hold there for several seconds. Not to mention a SEVERE lack of power. I can go WOT and it feels like my sohc has more bawls.

I have a SAFC neo but HAVE NOT adjusted anything yet. From what i hear i should be TAKING OUT fuel at idle. I'm about 3 seconds away from putting some stock cams in.

Thoughts? engine is shaved .030", bored out .040", SDA street cams, aem cai, bored TB.. etc...

VIDEO of gay ass whistle:

http://tsnhosting.net/ralliart16/gh3y2.MPG

VIDEO of erratic lean A/F ratio:

http://tsnhosting.net/ralliart16/gh3y.MPG

so you have the cams in but havent tuned yet????
    Originally posted by ECOtec Gods
    Consider this: 800 hp is a lot on a 2.0L motor. With 750hp, three-quarters of a thousand you're basically dealing with 6.14 hp per cubic inch. Pressures and stresses of all kinds thermal and mechanical loading across the board escalate to extreme levels. A Chevrolet 5.7-liter LS1 V8 with this much specific power (horsepower per cubic inch) would be making 2,137 hp

Comment

Is that a obx by chance? tune for the cams.
      2002 Saturn SL1- 5 speed, basic, slow, and staying that way.
      1993 Lexus SC300- Project turning into gold...

Formerly knows as "Saturntuner05."
      Too many past turds to list.

Comment

Nice gasket, soooooo shiney lol.

The whistle does not sound as bad as mine at least lol.
        1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

okay, from what everyone has told me, and everyone else that has SDA cams, they either had to adjust the idle very little or TAKE OUT FUEL.

So something else is wrong here, causing it to run so lean.

Comment

ok im gonna guess that u have a obx. if it is the flex piping goes bad as mine did and cracks and makes thw whistling sound u refer to. also were is ur wbo2 at?
            2002 Saturn SL1- 5 speed, basic, slow, and staying that way.
            1993 Lexus SC300- Project turning into gold...

Formerly knows as "Saturntuner05."
            Too many past turds to list.

Comment

not everyone has the exact build you do. you can try turning it up a bit at least to try.

I'd try to recal the sensor first, then check it again.
              -Vinny

Comment

I don't think its the cams doing that. It shouldnt be them at all. Maybe something wrong with your FPR or even the knock sensor. I think Richie had something like that happen and it was loose.

Comment

and it sounds like its leaning out too, so I don't think its just the oxygen
                  sensor. How do you have your sensors hooked up? Do you have a sensor for the pcm and the aem? or are you feeding the PCM from the AEM's output?

Comment

okay I drove the car to school and back. A/F is near around high 14s 15s at cruise, rich at WOT, and around low 15s at 1200 rpm (cold idle). However, once it gets warmed up and idles at 800 rpms, thats when the fun starts. It CONSISTENTLY leans out and dies out now, without fail.

It hasn't done this before. Last week I checked the codesand got:

26 - Quad Driver output fault (no idea about this one)
                    32 - EGR system fault (EGR is blocked off, however, s.bretz says disconnecting the egr shouldnt set a code on obd1, oh well)
                    43 - ESC (knock sensor) circuit open or shorted

I reset the PCM/disconnected battery earlier today to see if that changed things, but didnt really. When i checked the codes after driving to school (SES IS ON) I only got code 12.. Code 43 is weird b/c the knock sensor is brand new (OEM) and it is definitely connected.

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
                    and it sounds like its leaning out too, so I don't think its just the oxygen
                    sensor. How do you have your sensors hooked up? Do you have a sensor for the pcm and the aem? or are you feeding the PCM from the AEM's output?
                    Stock 02 sensor (brand new bosch "OEM") in obx header. AEM after flexpipe.

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
                    I don't think its the cams doing that. It shouldnt be them at all. Maybe something wrong with your FPR or even the knock sensor. I think Richie had something like that happen and it was loose.
                    FPR is brand new (OEM). LIke i stated before knock sensor is also new OEM

by the way, its quite a bitch manually idling the car at 1000 rpms in stop and go traffic.

Comment

yeah, the cams aren't doing that. The quad driver is the SES light, it's showing that the light is commanded on.
                      a vac leak would cause a lean condition, and a whistle noise, check your intake manifold and TB area.
                      LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
                      visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah
                        a vac leak would cause a lean condition, and a whistle noise, check your intake manifold and TB area.
                        wouldn't this raise the idle though? I checked the vac tree, brake booster hose, all of them.. looked fine to me.

Comment

i asked the "legendary" saturn tech wolfman from *gasP* saturnfans.. and he says

Code 26 99% of the time EGR and or Carbon Canister Purge solenoid

Code 32 No EGR function detected

43...I suspect your insistance on running with a disconnected EGR valve is causing excessive SPARK KNOCK causing above normal readings from the knock sensor (may be seen as a "short" by the PCM)

The lean condition can / could be caused by the PCM altering the mixture to compensate for the lack of EGR activity. It is expecting to see changes that are not happening because of the non-functional EGR system. It leans out the mixture, which results in the spark knock, which it in turn trys to compensate for by retarding the ignition timing which in turn causes the near stall...repeat in a vicious circle. If you are going to insist on running with no EGR (nets you NO POWER INCREASE at all) you can try running COLDER plugs to decrease the chance of spark knock.

I am (for what it is worth) not a big fan of cheapo one size fits all Bosch O2 sensors. I have seen those alone cause problems on many, many vehicles (not just Saturns)
                          I think i'm gonna throw an EGR on there, and an OEM 02 sensor, and see where that puts me.[/quote]

Comment

I am a LEGEND. Don't you forget it!

Comment

Yay wolfman is here.

--Adam
                              2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment