Megasquirt/rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt/rpm

Alright ive asked around and havent gotten an answer yet, so i figured i would try here.
    I have the MS installed in my car ('01 SC2)
    The tach signal would only read correctly if i set the settings to 2 cylinders which wouldnt let me tune very well...
    I purchased a used msd tach driver, hooked it up, and now i will read the correct RPM, but only for about 30 seconds if at all, then it will cut out and die. I've checked and there is no loose wiring.

Its starting to really piss me off because i cant tune without the rpm!!

Any ideas? Has anyone hooked up the tach driver and if so how was it done?(i reason that if i hooked it up wrong i would never get the correct rpm, but who knows)

throw away the tach driver.

set it to 12 cyl setting.

be happy.
    sigpic
    2005 Legacy GT
    2004 Vue V6 AWD
    1995 SL1

Comment

doesnt work...me and tristan from pr went over it and we couldnt get it to read correctly in any other setting then 2 cylinder. Thats why i decided to get the tach driver but that doesnt like me either... [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

get an obd 1 ignition module wire that thing for ignition and connect the tach wire to the REFHI wire and set it to 4 cyl, thats the only sure thing i know of

Comment

Originally posted by jts749
          get an obd 1 ignition module wire that thing for ignition and connect the tach wire to the REFHI wire and set it to 4 cyl, thats the only sure thing i know of

hes not gettin a good tach signal altogether. hooking up ignition control would further compicate things...

where do you have the tach connected to? what wire on the PCM?
          sigpic
          2005 Legacy GT
          2004 Vue V6 AWD
          1995 SL1

Comment

Comment

YOu can parrallel the CPS into the MS and set it up for a VR sensor.
              -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
              1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
              1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

cps? ill have to do some research on that. I had it hooked up to the white wire on the J2 connector originally(dont remember the number offhand and im at school) Now the tach driver is hooked to the ignition module where the spark plug wires come from...thats the best i could figure out from the instructions that came with it, so its probably hooked up wrong. I just havent been able to find anyone who uses the tach driver

Comment

are you sure you spliced the correct wire? did you check for voltage on the wire?
                  Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
                  2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
                  2002 SC2-New daily
                  2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
                  2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

you wont be able to check the tach signal unless you have a oscilliscope.
                    sigpic
                    2005 Legacy GT
                    2004 Vue V6 AWD
                    1995 SL1

Comment

if you're obd2, and you get the right wire you should be able to set it to 12 cy 12 inj and it should work...

but, the tach driver should work also so... haha
                      -teb

Comment

i want to say i hooked it to pin 46...white wire..and again i got the correct tach reading at 2 cylinders.

Comment

so does anyone have any ideas? Im at a complete loss and am really frustrated.

changed my oil, smelled like gas and my wideband shows only rich if i floor it. Sad thing is it runs so rich when i do floor it that this one spot i always get up to about 80 mph...well using partial throtlle to keep it running lean i get up to 72 mph. Not much of a difference overall. I want this thing tuned and all i need is a tach signal...

anyone using the tach driver on obdII who can let me know which wires they hooked it up to?

or does anyone know if the fact that i get a correct tach reading for maybe 30 seconds and then it disappears is indicative of a bad tach driver, as i purchased it used.

Comment

for one, i would post this in the tuning section. and put up a post on plastik as well.
                            -teb

Comment

well actually i figured it out last night finally. I now have a tach signal, and the best part is the engine once warmed up will start on my initial settings(still have to tune cold start/enrichments) and will idle.

Im very excited [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X