How remove factory seat covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How remove factory seat covers?

I'm looking to remove the factory seat covers to wash them in a washing machine. It looks possible to remove the bottom covers, but I'm not sure about the backs, is it possible and is it wise to do so?

Thanks.

i found it easiest to take em apart once the top and bottom were seperated. there are four bolts (two on each side) that you gotta remove. if you peel the skin on the upper half tf the seat at the hinge back a bit you'll see them, i believe they were 13 or 15 mm bolts. Either way... for the bottom half you gotta remove the plastic trim and knob then just gently pull the plastic tabs towards the middle of the seat till they release, once you have them released you'll gently peel it back to the seat center where there will be a pair of bars running front to back with an anchor one one end and an eyelet they feed through on the other. pull the rod out of the eyelet and slide the seat off. there are also a few hogrings in there too, but i cant remember where.

for the upper half of the seat look at the very bottom, there will be a rubber looking grip strip of sorts. take a flat head and gently pry the strips away from eachother and start seperating them, once you get it started it should just slide apart like a ziplock bag in a way. once you've got them apart just roll it up the seat slowly and watch for the hog rings that you'll have to remove. once you've got the skin rolled up near the top you'll have to reach inside the seat from the back. you'll reach to the top of the seat and squeeze the plastic tabs together that keep the headrest guide/mount in place while pulling up on that guide.

I hope this helps... let me know if you got more issues with it.
    He who won't read has no advantage over he who cannot. Repeat after me: Investigate. Learn. Discover. Ignorance is not bliss.

Comment

POOP! i made mistake and erased it all [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]
      Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
      2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
      2002 SC2-New daily
      2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
      2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

Thanks man, I also forgot to ask about the back seats, can they be removed?

Thanks.

Comment

I would recommend AGAINST the washing machine for the fabric. The backside of the fabric has a thin foam material, which would almost definately crumble in the washing machine.

One of these days I'll have the DIY guide for stripping the seats, but they're not done yet, sorry. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif[/img] I do have lots of pictures if you need to see anything in particular. I haven't stripped the rear seats, though, but I do have guides for removing them from the car.
          SaturnSeries.net Owner
          '99 SC2 Project Car build thread

Comment

Originally posted by SStampede
            Thanks man, I also forgot to ask about the back seats, can they be removed?

Thanks.

yes they can. ive redone my seats, front and rear, but no longer use them as my car was wrecked. they just sit in the basement. i actually tore them down (i worked in an upholstery shop) but the guy wouldnt let me sew them as he was afraid i would get too good at it and be better. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
            2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
            2002 SC2-New daily
            2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
            2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

the bottom of the rear seats are all hog rings which sux, the upper rear seats are pretty mucht he same as the front upper seats. the 'zip strip' thing at the bottom then they just peel off.

i forgot to mention theres some funny industrial velcro in some of em too... just take your time be gentle and real patient, you shouldn't have any problems.
              He who won't read has no advantage over he who cannot. Repeat after me: Investigate. Learn. Discover. Ignorance is not bliss.

Comment

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get them clean.

Comment