X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

For those of you who don't know!

I've got a 95 Saturn SL2.. not many mods... mainly consisting of

2002 Block with 99+ Pistons and Rods with the new girdle.. Two Intake Cams (yes, Jeremy, I went back and added it), AEM CAI, Big-Bore 55mm TB, Port Matched Intake Manifold, Header going to HKS Cat-back..

Ok, reason I said that! is because I have an Auto PCM and I rev my car to 7,000 when I shift.. and no.. it doesn't struggle.. the car pulls hard all the way to 7,000 rpms just so you people don't have to tell me it's pointless..

ANYWAYS

My Question: *My first assumption is the alternator*

When I'm driving my car hard... and I take the revs past 5700rpms.. all the way to 7000rpms.. the headlights dim..

It's only recently started doing it... maybe since my brother wrecked the car.. so when I get it out of the body shop.. I want to fix it.. anyone else have any other suggestions besides the alt?

The car drives fine and pulls hard like it normally has... i feel no power loss from it.. and the lights inside the car don't dim or anything.. just the headlights and fog lights...

Thanx in Advance,

~Rich
    - sinep

Could be the tensioner/slipping belt.
    -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
    -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
    -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
    -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
    -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

Belt is a fairly new Goodyear Gatorback. I will check the tensioner. Didn't think of that..
      - sinep

Comment

We had a gator back slip and not sqeak at all about a year ago...and the tensoner was tight as hell. It was 4 guys standing over an S and scratching our heads at why the two new alternators won't charge past 10 amps...ended up being a freaking belt; the first thing all 4 of us looked at first.
        -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
        1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
        1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz
          We had a gator back slip and not sqeak at all about a year ago...and the tensoner was tight as hell. It was 4 guys standing over an S and scratching our heads at why the two new alternators won't charge past 10 amps...ended up being a freaking belt; the first thing all 4 of us looked at first.
          I have seen this once as well. Fought myself figuring it out. Put a cracked stock belt on and amp output went up to 70.Put a new belt on, amp out put in the 90's. I now hate those belts.
          OMG. I own too many saturns. Help me RAWR.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Don
            Originally posted by S.Bretz
            I have seen this once as well. Fought myself figuring it out. Put a cracked stock belt on and amp output went up to 70.Put a new belt on, amp out put in the 90's. I now hate those belts.
            +1, those gatorbacks are the devil

Comment

i have a gatorback and dont have any problems.....yet
              <br /><br />I wont bow to something that I've never seen..........I can't believe in something that doesn't believe in me....I'm not blood of your blood.....I'm no son of your god...I'm have no faith in your faith, still I find salvation<br /><br />[quote author="omgitselvisc"]im vinny's bitch i guess lol[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
                gatorbacks are the devil
                Never had a problem with my old one, and I had it on for 10,000 miles... I also never had a single warranty complaint when I worked at the parts store, except for when a guy's tensioner shredded his belt from being so rusted.... but that was it.

I guess it's just the good old saying, what works for one, doesn't always work for the rest.

-Shane

Comment

lol, 10k?

you must get around huh? My stock belt prolly has almost 100k on it. Bare minimum 60k. And it slips when I shift at 6k+, but that's only cause of the ACT 6 puk [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
                    lol, 10k?
                    +1 to the lol - 10k miles on a belt is pathetic. I hope it wasn't bad at 10k, but that there's more to the story...
                    SaturnSeries.net Owner
                    '99 SC2 Project Car build thread

Comment

maybe he only had it on there for 10k at the time of posting..... belts last forever in comparison to other "replacement parts."

i would agree on it being the belt slipping Richie.

Comment

no he just said he had 10k on it, not that it was bad at 10k. i was just stating that 10k on a belt is nothing and its not a real test.

Comment

hm, when i get it outta the shop i'll throw a new on on it... thanx all
                          - sinep

Comment