• Craziest shit ever!!!

1996 sw2 no start...

Getting fuel
    getting spark
    tried the flood clear method
    10 degrees outside.
    no codes

no compression in cylinder #3...

no I was not able to do it warm as this thing won't start.

it was 170, 165, 0, 160

ran fine day before...
    car has no mods other than 99 pistons & rods

Should I rebuild?

What else to try?

0 compression.....something has gone awry
    LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
    visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment

a guess a leak down test will determine the source of my problem eh?

Comment

could a bent exhaust valve cause a 0 compression check?
        sigpic

Comment

yes.

BBR - a leakdown test probably won't help. You'll have to open it up and take a look....or get a boroscope.
          LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
          visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment

I figure if I jack the cylider with air I could determine the source...

out the valve cover= rings

out the TB = intake valve

out the exhaust = exhaust valve

if it's the rings I'm gonna rebulid the lower half

if it's the head I'll do the head.

Comment

My money is on the head. I'm thinking bad valve or something along those lines.
              [quote author="S.Bretz"]I couldn't get mine off when I was 16, I had to have someone else that was stronger then me pull it off. He almost took it in the fore head. It was quite comical from my point of view.[/quote]<br />[quote author="ProjectSW1"]it should be licking my asshole whilst jerking me off and giving occasional tongue lashings to mah nuts... WHILE FLYING MY ASS TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]<br />2005 Chili Pepper Red Redline - Carbon Fiber Badges, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, GMPP 2-pass endplate, soon OTT Stage 1.

Comment

just wierd that it was all of a sudden...

that's the part I can't figure out.

This is on a daily driver too.

I never beat the shit out of this saturn, I mean never...

But the 1993 sl2 get the shit kicked out of it constantly.
                I have dropped three diff pins but never once has the motor gotten screwed...

We'll know today.

Comment

10 degrees huh?

Are you using anything other then 5W-30 for oil?
                  -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                  1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                  1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

the car probably would still start though. be rough as hell, but should start. hell ive started up and driven cars around that had blown a piston, just to get them moved. pulled the spark plug, and ran smoother and got them moved around.

but when you say you have fuel, do you mean fuel pressure or is there injector pulse or both? will it sputter at all, or just nothing? is there fuel pooling in the cylinder?
                    Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
                    2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
                    2002 SC2-New daily
                    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
                    2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by dream36realms
                      could a bent exhaust valve cause a 0 compression check?
                      I'm putting my money on that too.

A bent exhaust valve means the timing chain has skipped gear-teeth.

You'll be lucky if the piston isn't fucked, as this happened to my fiancأƒئ’أ‚آ©e's sunfire on Thanksgiving... we ended up replacing the whole engine after I inspected it..... cracked pistons, bent valves... yeah... not fun.

Anyways, best bet... remove the head and check it, since you can't start it, like I said, I'm going to guess timing is fucked along with a bent valve.
                      -Shane

Comment

Originally posted by project92SC2
                        A bent exhaust valve means the timing chain has skipped gear-teeth.
                        I've never heard of a single S that "jumped" timing, meaning nothing in the timing chain setup broke, it just jumped a tooth. Cars with belts sure, but the 1.9's chain setup, never.

and the timing off like that would most likely cause more than one cyl to be ef'd me thinks. Either way I would just pull it and start taking it apart. for 0 psi in the cylinder, I'm sure you'll be able to see the problem clear as day

Comment

A sunfire is a chain setup too... on a chain setup, if the tensioner fails, it CAN jump gears.

Comment

A sunfire is a chain setup too... on a chain setup, if the tensioner fails, it CAN jump gears.
                            I meant on the 1.9 setup, I have seriously never seen one only jump timing, breaking apart completely yea sure, or even make a ton of noise cause they were loose, but never jump.

Comment

I hate to break it to you bubs, but our T-chain tensioner is "powered" by oil pressure. And even in the event that there was no oil pressure behind it, it's also got this nifty ratcheting feature that means it's not going to give the chain any extra slack.

And what the fuck do sunfires have to do with saturns?
                              [16:02] Ferrari166mm: so you&#39;re finally getting into real cars.<br />[16:02] adamkob32: I&#39;ve just had enough of racing a 100HP nutsack
                              <br /><br />

Comment