replacing rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing rods

my car is making a slight knocking noise at rpms above 3000 rpms. i figure its the rod bearings. i am hoping to replace the, rods, crank, and bearings in the car. is that possible/realistic?

also, can the knocking noise be coming from the wrist pin side of the rod. i don't wanna have the pistons still knocking after i go through all that trouble.
    97 sc1-- DOHC swap, P&amp;P head, race cams, AEM CAI, geo TB, eclipse 4-1 header, lsd, act clutch, fidanza FW<br /><br />na<br />14.9 @91mph<br />50 shot <br />[email protected]<br /><br />forged motor coming soon..<br /><br />vids<br />http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/bo ... dewayz.htm

Re: replacing rods

Originally posted by boostinsidewayz
    my car is making a slight knocking noise at rpms above 3000 rpms. i figure its the rod bearings. i am hoping to replace the, rods, crank, and bearings in the car. is that possible/realistic?

also, can the knocking noise be coming from the wrist pin side of the rod. i don't wanna have the pistons still knocking after i go through all that trouble.
    You should hear the rod-ka-nock at all rpms. I would carefully investigate your engine bay while a friend holds the throttle steady. Yes you can replace all that with the engine in the car but it would be the worst possible scenario. You still have to pull the head and TCC to get crap in and out. I wouldn't trust any of the spec measurements or torque settings to be correct. I did a rod bearing last spring and it sucked. Take the engine out and redo it all properly so you don't fuck up all your work. Nothing sucks more than to replace a bearing to find out that it gets spun again after 15 minutes.

EDIT: Does it make the noise while stopped and the rpms are above 3000 or while you are driving? Could just be a shot motor mount or TAM too.
    [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Comment

i'm 99% sure its internal. it makes it once in a while at start up. and i can sometimes faintly hear when i'm driving, if everything else is off.
      97 sc1-- DOHC swap, P&amp;P head, race cams, AEM CAI, geo TB, eclipse 4-1 header, lsd, act clutch, fidanza FW<br /><br />na<br />14.9 @91mph<br />50 shot <br />[email protected]<br /><br />forged motor coming soon..<br /><br />vids<br />http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/bo ... dewayz.htm

Comment

I doubt it is a rod bearing. Make a vid of it for us.
        [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Comment

Check the oil level.

If the bearing was trashed, you should see some silver swirls in the oil when you drain it....drain it. That 8-12 you spend on oil could save you the headache of taking the engine apart and finding nothing was wrong.
          -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
          1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
          1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz
            Check the oil level.

If the bearing was trashed, you should see some silver swirls in the oil when you drain it....drain it. That 8-12 you spend on oil could save you the headache of taking the engine apart and finding nothing was wrong.
            its been going on for about 4000 miles so far, i've done 2 oil changes since it started. lol. the oil level was low. its a very faint noise, not a loud knock like i heard when i blew my all trac celica's motor.

Comment

I bet lifter. Pour seafoam slowly through the PCV valve(disconnect from valve cover, then pour and the car has to be warm) until you get about 1/2 bottle through. Turn off the car and let it sit for at least 15 minutes, but I prefer an hour or more. Then start it up and drive, preferably on the highway. Change your oil. See if that makes it go away.

EDIT: You really need to post up a video of this noise man.

Comment

I would like to add the things that I can think of that are making that noise, hopefully others will chime in and let us know.

1. Stuck/dead lifter
                2. Slack in chain causing it to hit the top guide due to an old tensioner
                3. Motor mounts?
                4. Something banging around in the engine when it tilts enough @ the given RPM
                5. TAM

Like I said, get your head in that engine bay and start nudging the throttle up until you hear the noise. I have to say tho, there is no mistaking the awful sound of rod knock.

Comment