Oil smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil smoke

Hey so anyway....i have more blow by than im comfortable with out of the valve cover. When i shift a small amount of oil smoke comes out. When i let the engine brake the car, like down a hill or just let off the throttle she smokes even worse untill i step back on the throttle. I have done a compression test twice, in the past month. All cylinders are at about 170. Also im at 8.5 to 1 CR. Anyway i still am thinking its a cracked piston, or something [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/confused.gif[/img] . I just dont get it. Also cylinder numba 2 was shiny on the top like it had blow by, when i looked through the plug hole. The rest are powdery black ...my car is still running a little rich. Any ideas? I also check the oil and coolant all the time it doesn't apear to be mixing either way.

Sounds like bad valve stem seals or a stuck PCV valve.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

I hollowed out the pvc....recomended by someone at TSN. Then i have it hooked up to an oil catch can then ran down to the vaccum/intake side of the turbo. Ever had valve stem seals go bad on you? If so can you noticably tell by looking at them after pulling it all apart. Also i winder if i can pump air into the cylinders, and change the seals with the engine sill in the car?

Comment

YOu can put air into the cylinders. I have seen it done that way on an LLO.

Is the turbo drain line kinked? That will cause smoke, and at high rpms or when slowing down.

Comment

i had the same sitaution and had to broken pistons [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]

owell no biggie
          2000 sl2 5 speed *for sale*<br />1998 SC2 forged motor, turbo sold<br />1992 sc2 turbo sold

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz
            YOu can put air into the cylinders. I have seen it done that way on an LLO.

Is the turbo drain line kinked? That will cause smoke, and at high rpms or when slowing down.
            No not at all i had that in mind when i designed the setup, and its 1/2 inch line to boot. I dunno i may just pull the engine out....my timing chain cover leaks(stupid oil pan bolt holes cracked) I have a set of new stem seals.

Comment

[quote="Syn"]i had the same sitaution and had to broken pistons :shock: .

you guys know the funny thing is.....on a turbo car broken i have never felt a loss of power....figure that one out

Comment

the engine was already out since i was cleaning up the engine bay since i have another car to drive, the oil pan gasket was leaking and oil was all over the bottom of the cradle

my pistons didn't melt either one part of the edge cracked, and these were stock DOHC pistons

but this happend since my sds knobs got messed with and i ran leaner then a bodybuilder at only 8psi, well it didn't even hit 8psi before i heard what i thought was a misfire but it was detitnation [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_mad.gif[/img]

so now i'm going forged and hideing the sds so only i can access it
                2000 sl2 5 speed *for sale*<br />1998 SC2 forged motor, turbo sold<br />1992 sc2 turbo sold

Comment

I hope Sams correct....its a little cheaper, and easier to fix. But whatevers gotta be done....i would rather die than live w/o boost.

Comment

If the piston was crack, you would have likw 100psi or lower on a cylinder...maybe 130ish with really thick liquid rings type oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
                      but this happend since my sds knobs got messed with and i ran leaner then a bodybuilder at only 8psi, well it didn't even hit 8psi before i heard what i thought was a misfire but it was detitnation [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_mad.gif[/img] t
                      running lean (especially in modified engines) isn't exactly smart.... rich is safer but still not ideal.
                      VTEC is like having turbo lag but without the turbo. Its like waiting for bad sex.<br />...<br />1993 SC2m- sold<br />1996 Jeep Cherokee- Likes to get dirty<br />1974 AMC Javelin-Underfunded Project Car<br />2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650- Keep the shiny side up.

Comment

[quote="ChevelleSSLS6"][quote="Syn"]
                        but this happend since my sds knobs got messed with and i ran leaner then a bodybuilder at only 8psi, well it didn't even hit 8psi before i heard what i thought was a misfire but it was detitnation :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Syn

but this happend since my sds knobs got messed with and i ran leaner then a bodybuilder at only 8psi, well it didn't even hit 8psi before i heard what i thought was a misfire but it was detitnation [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_mad.gif[/img]
                          that deTITnation will get you. lol

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz
                            If the piston was crack, you would have likw 100psi or lower on a cylinder...maybe 130ish with really thick liquid rings type oil.
                            I know man, but cylinder 2 has me worried. It did'nt have that pretty black powdery look like the rest. Which i typicly am not looking for black powdery pistons (too rich) but i am looking at consistancy between cylinders. So you really think its valve stem seals, or turbo ehhh. Im just suprised how much smoke comes out..... I'll put it apart before long.
                            But im pulling the engine so i can replace the TCC. Cause i HATE doing it with the engine in the car. Thanks For duh help!!

Comment

I have recently noticed that one/its colder than crap so some of my smoke is simply the cause. Two that i observe no oil smoke when this thing is cold. So my guess is Sam is right, the engine oil is probably to thick to seep paste the valve stem seals(which expand when warm too).
                              Thanks for the diognosis!!

Comment