Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM Issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax5Fak9GrGk

Just wondering what might be causing it to hang so high (and idle high in general). At first I was assuming it'd be to do with the fact that my clutch really needs to be replaced (I've known this for a while, but I don't have the time currently), but when Elvis looked at it this weekend he said he thought it was a vacuum leak.

Does anyone have any ideas? I just wanted to ask a second opinion so I don't spend time trying to find a vacuum leak if it ends up being something else.
    - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

i dont really see anything wrong. It hangs high for a bit when you press the clutch, okay , thats because of the idle air control valve.

and it is idling at 1200 rpms, thats because your engine isnt fully warmed up yet

Comment

Originally posted by Ralliart16
      i dont really see anything wrong. It hangs high for a bit when you press the clutch, okay , thats because of the idle air control valve.

and it is idling at 1200 rpms, thats because your engine isnt fully warmed up yet
      That's supposed to happen? I guess I just don't remember it happening for that long. Hmm.

It does idle high though (1100 even when warmed up) but that could be something else.

Comment

adjust your throttle stop, just turn it out a little bit when the car is idling. stop when you like where it is
        97 sc1-- DOHC swap, P&amp;P head, race cams, AEM CAI, geo TB, eclipse 4-1 header, lsd, act clutch, fidanza FW<br /><br />na<br />14.9 @91mph<br />50 shot <br />[email protected]<br /><br />forged motor coming soon..<br /><br />vids<br />http://videos.streetfire.net/profile/bo ... dewayz.htm

Comment

mine does the exact same thing, im not too worried about it. when its uber cold out it'll idle at 1200ish rpms and once fully warm it'll do its 900ish rpms. dont fret it, you'll be ok.
          [color=red]-Tyler[/color]<br /><br />2005 Chevy Trailblazer<br />1999 Saturn SL2<br />2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

Comment

Originally posted by sl2fast
            mine does the exact same thing, im not too worried about it. when its uber cold out it'll idle at 1200ish rpms and once fully warm it'll do its 900ish rpms. dont fret it, you'll be ok.
            For the record mine does this as well plus it surges up and down until it warms up...then it drops to about 900 rpms. It doesn't feel normal to me either as none of the other Saturns I've owned did this, but the ect & iac both look ok on the tech II so ......????

Comment

Its rich on start up causing it to surge like that. If you have a safe, try taking some fuel out at idle and the lo-throttle postion.
              -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
              1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
              1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Bretz
                Its rich on start up causing it to surge like that. If you have a safe, try taking some fuel out at idle and the lo-throttle postion.
                I don't.

Is it "rich" like stock rich, or extra rich? Meaning like o2 sensor or something?

Comment

Just too much fuel... Mine did that when I put the bullfrog cams it. The MAP was reading more load, so it tryed to put more fuel in. It continued to go from 850-ish to 1200-1300 rpm at cold idle until the o2 was hot enough to read rich and pull fuel. Too much timeing an too mcuh fuel will do this. At cold start you will have more igntion advance and more fuel...both will taper off as the engine warms. If you ahve a safc, start the car cold, and just keep going down until it smoothes out. I had to go -25%at idle to compensate with the cams.
                  -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                  1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                  1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Do this:

http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum2/viewt ... ht=iac+mod

Originally posted by LowSL2
                    I just pushed the IAC all the way in to close the hole and uplugged the connector. Does the same thing.
                    ilostmysocketwrench | Bentra Motorsports Blog | Bentra Motorsports Videos

Comment

WTF? Why did that thread get deleted?
                      ilostmysocketwrench | Bentra Motorsports Blog | Bentra Motorsports Videos

Comment