Auto. Transmission problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto. Transmission problems

I'm looking at a 98 4 Door Saturn, it has between 120,000 to 130,000 miles, but the problem is when the car warms up it doesn't have reverse. The guy said, the dealer told him about a nut backing off, or something in the valve body. What might cause this and whats the fix? It's a clean car except the carpet, I haven't looked at it real close, so that's why there isn't much details.

Thanks.

Re: Auto. Transmission problems

Originally posted by SStampede
    What might cause this?
    lol, read the title of you thread, its an Auto, that's how it happened.

Whats the fix?
    The first step is admitting you have a problem(In this case realizing you have an auto). The second step is performing a manual swap. Fix it once, fix it right [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

That's what I'm thinking, but if I can fix fairly easy I'll keep it an auto.
      Would the PCM need to be changed, what about the safety switch, direct plug and play, no taking out the all of the wiring harness?

Thanks.

Comment

for th manual swap? you CAN leave the auto pcm, you wouldnt have the rev limiters and your engine light would stay on. Or you can just swap to the manual pcm. And you dont really need a manual harness, you can just modify the auto harness, its really easy. There are a few write ups around, prolly one in the DIY section, maybe.

Comment

go to differentracing.com and check out their tech articles, they have a step-by-step thing on swapping
          -Mike -MN <br />&#39;96 SC2 <br />Check out my website!<br />[img width=350 height=40]http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage/976/stc_banners-oakdog8.jpg[/img]

Comment

your problem is diffently your valve body its the same prblem i currently have. im almost done assembling all the parts for the manny swap. but till the all i do is put it in reverse and either gently tap the gas just enough to not get any slam. or wait a few seconds and it usually kick in on its own.
            STC-NY

Comment

Do know what the fix is?

Comment

Valve body on the tranny. You could try using some of that trannie cleaner junk and flushing it. I had a similar problem, all I did was use that degunker crap and back the car up to a wall, put on the parking brake and left it in reverse for about a 1/2 hr running. Fixed it right up.
                [quote author="S.Bretz"]I couldn't get mine off when I was 16, I had to have someone else that was stronger then me pull it off. He almost took it in the fore head. It was quite comical from my point of view.[/quote]<br />[quote author="ProjectSW1"]it should be licking my asshole whilst jerking me off and giving occasional tongue lashings to mah nuts... WHILE FLYING MY ASS TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]<br />2005 Chili Pepper Red Redline - Carbon Fiber Badges, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, GMPP 2-pass endplate, soon OTT Stage 1.

Comment

So, it would be possible to remove the valve body and clean it real good and reinstall, without more damage? That's what it sounds like to me, a sticking actuator. I plan on taking a closer look at it soon.

Thanks.

Comment

i have head of ppl having succes with what sleeper said. never tried it ,y self, this was just a good reason to put up the money for the swap. also i have seen a few ppl replace the tranny only to have the same problem over.
                    STC-NY

Comment

How much do you have in the swap, and what yrs will interchange?

Thanks.

Comment

How much do you have in the swap, and what yrs will interchange?

Thanks.
                        you would need a 91-98 clutch and slave cylinder. Also a flywheel and bolts from any year. You would need any year manual trans, preferably 94+ MP3(If you don't plan on a really high boost setup. and MP3 came on the DOHC cars). You would need a shifter and boot from a 95+. Shifter cables from any year. Manual trans mount bracket(I think you would need a 93+, but the 91-92 bracket might be the same) Also you'd need the clutch and brake pedals and bolts from any year manual.

that's the short list. There are other tiny details I think but that is the bulk of the swap. If you have a local you pull it and a free day, you can easily pull most of those parts at a yard for a decent price. I would however rec. buying the shifter cables and clutch new. And the Fidanza flywheel is always a good upgrade when you are looking for a new flywheel. Or you can just have a junkyard FW resurfaced.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I was alitte worried about the years, that would interchange. There is a U-pull-it close to me, and there's a few Saturns in there most of the time. So it doesn't matter if it's a single or dual cams, the trans will bolt up? This will be just a daily drive.

Thanks.

Comment

No, SOHC will have a MP2 trannie, while the DOHC will have the MP3. If your just staying NA, you'll want the MP3 trannie, and not the MP2 which has different gearing.
                            [quote author="S.Bretz"]I couldn't get mine off when I was 16, I had to have someone else that was stronger then me pull it off. He almost took it in the fore head. It was quite comical from my point of view.[/quote]<br />[quote author="ProjectSW1"]it should be licking my asshole whilst jerking me off and giving occasional tongue lashings to mah nuts... WHILE FLYING MY ASS TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]<br />2005 Chili Pepper Red Redline - Carbon Fiber Badges, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, GMPP 2-pass endplate, soon OTT Stage 1.

Comment

What would the effects of just driving the the thing, how long could it last?

Thanks.

Comment