bastard ion - idc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bastard ion - idc?

been thinking of this today since someone on another forum is convinced that I've been maxxing out my injectors since I swapped the head on from Sam and Jay.

the 03-04 Ion 2.2, hell all of the 2.2 Ions, are fucked when it comes to any sort of software to tune or even pull ecu info. I'm wondering though if the TechII would be able to view info such as injector duty cycle and pulsewidth? I highly doubt I'm over 85%, but this guy with a jbody swears up and down that the stock injectors dont' let you tune for more than 13.7:1 when at 85% IDC, while I have been mapping 13.0:1 to 12.8:1 during dyno pulls with stock injectors for the last 30K miles. I'm not saying he's wrong, but his ecu also is a totally different unit, so maybe that's why? I don't know, but now it's bugging me. I've got a scann of Andy's stock Ion3 hitting 12.5:1 at times, and that was bone stock!

given, it's not like I can do shit about it anyway, but it'd be nice to know.
    -Vinny

the Tec2 will show pulsewidth, but not duty cycle.....and stop second guessing yourself.
    Your car is fine.
    LSJ powered 1998 Chevy S-10 turbo
    visit my Albums - http://sixthsphere.com/album.php?u=7267

Comment

but he made me feel dumb massa

LOL

so you're thinking I'm fine just like I am? I mean, shit, 30,000 miles running at close to if not over 100% duty cycle should have locked one up by now, so I'm not really thinking there's a problem, but now I'm curious.

like trying to figure out how a diff works when there's missing spider gear teeth lol
      -Vinny

Comment

+1 to what Jay said. you can look at pulse width but I seriously doubt you would be maxing out stock injectors, I mean how much more fuel do you think your head would require?

Comment

It wouldn't require anything over what the stock system is already dumping in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah
            It wouldn't require anything over what the stock system is already dumping in there.
            exactly. last dyno pull it was stable 13.0:1 to 4K, then 12.8:1 all the way to redline, and that was back a few weeks after we installed the head. I would be suprised if the stock ecu, which on these cars tries to lean out a bit more than on the s series, would end up overdriving the injectors after the head swap.

I'm wondering if the fact that this other guy turned his engine up to 7200rpm (stock redline is 6500rpm) had anything to do with why it was supposedly maxing out
            -Vinny

Comment

wouldn't think so [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

lol, maybe he's just a tard Vin? haha j/k i shouldnt make fun of ppl I don't even know haha

Comment

eh I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. he has a head with cams, stock bottom end, header, intake, exhaust, and is turning 14.004 at 96 I think with this cavalier on a set of BFG radials. it also is a totally different ecu on that car which I really feel has something to do with it. the only thing that keeps me from dismissing it is that I really have no way to find out my duty cycle since nobody makes shit for us right now

oh well, at least the coolant issue seems to have been worked out lol
                  -Vinny

Comment

ok...he has cams, a different ecu, cams, intake, ecu, exhaust, cams, a different ecu, and cams....and he's telling you that he leaned out?

hmmm. what could be different on his car from yours?

Comment

lol

seatbelts?
                      -Vinny

Comment

LOL, yeah. performance seat belts FTW!!!

Comment

lol

this is what he's saying:

when I was on stock injectors spinning 7000rpm (a mere 500rpm more than stock) and started tuning for 13.0:1 air fuel, my injectors were at 105% duty cycle before I ever got there.. the lowest air/fuel I ever saw (while the injectors were still functioning properly) was 13.7:1. This was with just bolt ons.. before i put on the ported head and cams.

My air fuel ratio would dip into the 11s in the higher rev range.. that much fuel tends to rob horsepower, not to mention the risk of one of the injectors locking up.

But I am willing to bet money that your injectors are maxed, which is why your air/fuel gets so low up top

yeah, it seems that I'm an idiot if I'm not on a saturn board lol
                          -Vinny

Comment

11:1 a/f range up top = NOT maxxed out. NOT 105%dc just poor tuning.

LOL @ you for listening to that chump.

wow, only 4 days into the new year, and Vinny has already lost his balls.

check classifieds for sightings.

Comment

lol dick

I just can't understand what he's saying. I dont' see how it's possible to hit 105% at 13.0:1, buf if that was when he was also getting 11:1 in the higher revs then yeah, it was not tuned right at all.
                              -Vinny

Comment