99 engine in a 95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 engine in a 95

how difficult is it to swap the 95 for a 99. i know the 95 is obd 1 and the 99 is obd2. i helped a friend put a first gen engine in a second gen car and it worked, but the engine was messed up and it never ran right. low compression i think, nothing to do with sensors or the obd. i found a lower mileage engine on ebay and i was wondering if it would work or not.

youd have to use the 95 injectors and fuel rail. You'd also have to swap to the 95 TB. Exhaust you would have to rig something to fit the 99 manifold and downpipe to the rest of the exhaust, i think the flange behind the cat is rotated differently.

Plus you need to drill and tap a spot in the head for the coolant temp gauge sensor

id go ahead and swap all the other sensors while you are at it cause im sure the connectors on some are a little different

Also gonna need new brackets for the AC compressor and the PS pump as well I think

and dont forget you'll still need a 95 clutch, NOT a 99

hope that helps some

Comment

Dude..95 where the best year. Don;t ruin it with a 99.
      -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
      1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
      1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Originally posted by SupraCharged007

*sigh*

the debate continues.

I thought they changed the clutch for 00-02, as well...made it travel less, but the guys at PR all swore it'll work fine. Tristan and Mike have run 91-99 clutches in 00+ cars without a problem, so it's probably not an issue.

OH, duhrrr...they changed the clutch in 00, anyways. 99 and 95 are the same.
        -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
        -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
        -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
        -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
        -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

New clutch design needs new master/slave design. Old needs old. Both old and new versions have the same amount of room in the bell housing, just 2 different designs.

Comment

95 may be the best year, but it isnt easy finding a lower milage engine. i dont have the time to rebuild mine. i need something. i'm tired of putting oil in this bitch. putting 5 to 6 quarts of oil in your car every week gets old, and expencive.

Comment

HOLy SHIT! that's alot of oil. Umm, You will have get creative on intalling the 95 fuel rail, and uyou will need to drill a hole in the head and tap it for 1/8 NPT so that you can install the second CTS for the 95. All other sensors, just swap them off the 95 and put them on the 99.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shaolin
                Originally posted by SupraCharged007

*sigh*

the debate continues.

I thought they changed the clutch for 00-02, as well...made it travel less, but the guys at PR all swore it'll work fine. Tristan and Mike have run 91-99 clutches in 00+ cars without a problem, so it's probably not an issue.

OH, duhrrr...they changed the clutch in 00, anyways. 99 and 95 are the same.
                yea, brain fart, 00-02 clutch is the same. 91-99 is the same

as far as the old 91-99 clutch will work with a 00+ slave .......... Yea it might, but the clutch won't fully disengage. The old slave cylinder has like 40-50% MORE throw. so if you use that clutch, you should use that slave.

I actually had a first style clutch in my car with the new slave when I bought it. It ran fine but if I tried to shift into 2nd at like 6500 at WOT, it would grind real bad ..... why? because the input shaft was still spinning with the flywheel [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

So how do you put an ACT clutch in an 00-02?

Throw in a 91-99 slave with it?
                  -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
                  -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
                  -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
                  -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
                  -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

yep.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shaolin
                      So how do you put an ACT clutch in an 00-02?

Throw in a 91-99 slave with it?
                      exactly. If you don't have ABS its as easy as swapping the slave out. If you do have ABS, like me haha, then you have to move the ABS module, not too hard, but not too fun either.

Comment