p0171 code update on page 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p0171 code update on page 2

its a 97 sl2 5 speed with 180,000km (around 120k yanky miles)

and its giving me that fun code, keeps getting triggered around 3rd gear at 2000rpms ish around there, major issue is that when i floor it to get some power in 2nd gear or higher it boggs and feels like its chugging along, littlerly no perforomance.. but from a stand still i can rip thru the gears with out much hesitation nothing that i can really tell. the plugs are pig rich i burn less then a quart per oil change if i baby the car the light will turn off (shifting around 3k city driving)

compression was 190,185,180,185 dry , wet was 200,200,190,190 did a leak down test as well and has 0% all across.

new spark plugs
    new wires
    checked the coil pack for correct ohms even swapped them out no go
    new control moduale *the little plate under the coils* tried 2 different ones
    new fuel filter
    fuel pressue at idle is 34psi, at wot its 42psi
    injectors are at correct resistanse according to haines
    new collant temp sensor
    had checked for leaks on the intake manifold (vaccum) nothing sofar but ihavnet had the chance to throw it on tester yet. i just used some carb cleaner and looked for engine idle change, non.
    idles when warm at 800-900ish cold its around 13-1400ish (normal from what i have seen)
    did a major clean/ suck and blow thing to the injectors
    cleaned the Trottle body and most of the intake manifold as much as i could
    cleaned up the egr valve as well
    new front o2 sensor
    new rear o2 sensor
    completely stock except for a k/n drop in filter.
    new pcv valve
    new map
    iat seems to be working fine in the haines manual stuff

Gonna try the AIT (idle air controler thing) and knock sensor, and cam position sensor to see if that shit is wacky or not)

anyone got any bright ideas?? or any thoughts of wizdom
    thanks
    2004 Ion Redline Blue sunroof, advance audio, nexen rubber more to come..
    <br />
    <br />97 sl2 5spd [email protected] SOLD

isnt 171 a lean code??
    sigpic-VOLVO 745T 175K MBC ...
    - 9 BOLT Aluminum Intake 3rd gen sedan... Beige... 160K

You're so crazy! enough in a way that i'll probably say you destroyed me!
    ~The Used

Comment

FPR?
      [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Comment

System too lean Bank 1

Check your fuel pressure. After that it could be your FPR, fuel filter, fuel pump, or maybe an injector. Your not throwing any 02 codes so I guess that probably isn't it. If this is an s-series, I got that code when my FPR was messed up and it took about 15 minutes to replace. HOpe that helps, but first get your fuel pressure checked! That will lead you to the FPR, filter etc vs injectors or other things. Anybody got any other ideas?
        [quote author="shortbus"]Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.[/quote]<br />[quote author="retardpartol"]...who is sober and noton any kind of intoxication whether is be ibuprophin[/quote]<br />LSJ phun

Comment

vacuum leak anyone?

~The Used

Comment

It would rev really high then if it had a leak IIRC.

Comment

yah it would rev like hell but nope no odd idle, or anything funny business, i checked the injectorz and they are fine and withint spec and doing their little ticky ticky ticky noise, 34psi, new filter, etc.. could be the fuel pressure regular. but if it was would it be stupid enough to lean out at low end city driving, but when the computer tells it to go into close (or open forget its the one that dumps massive mamounts of fuel) it wouldnt be able to keep up. but my plugs are saying its keeping up no problem..

only other thing could be the fuel pump, possibly but its still giving me the right in specs for fuel pressure and rise in fuel rate for WOT action
              <br />

Comment

check the o2 on a datastream and spray some brakecleaner in the intake
                maybe youre not goin lean at all but the pcm is being fooled
                make sure you actually have a lean condition before you go any further

~The Used

Comment

why spray brake cleaner down the intake??

i'll probally end up snagging another fuel pressure regular sometime in the next week or so and see what it says.

i wanna attach it to a scan tool at school but their dildo's.. and wont let me read what it tells me. but does the FPR acutally do all the normal not WOT driving.

i know when your at WOT it just goes open loop mode (i think) and just dumps fuel and the fpr is ignored and doesnt modify anything correct?
                  <br />

Comment

Well, the FPR should increase the FP becasue the intake manifold pressure increase (the intake vacuum drops)....I have had one act funny before. Some how I managed to get 2 orings on it and it started acting retarded after about 500 miles.
                    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

so if the fuel pressure increases from idle to WOT the FPR is acutally doing its job.

so theirs no point for me to take off the vaccum line from the fpr and see if anything is coming from it.

i have noticed lately i am getting a slight high idle ish.. (when i am slowing down to a complete stop) it goes to around 2000 rpms, then i put it in gear and then back out of gear and it goes down to normal idle.

so i think i got a vaccum leak somewhere but probally so small i cant find it.
                      <br />

Comment

i so called it
                        try to get it on a datastream somewhere
                        if you cant hear the idle change while sprayin brake cleaner around the intake and other vacuum leak possibilities
                        and watch the short term fuel trim when you hit the leak it ll change
                        or watch the o2 voltage itll spike when you hit it

~The Used

Comment

http://members.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

love this site...

Comment

sheweet!

~The Used

Comment

I would use use throttle body cleaner as brake cleaner it mostly water.
                              -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                              1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                              1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment