Phantom Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Grip

So ive been doing some searches and i came upon this " the phantom grip is pretty much universal" i was wondering how true this was. If i had a cavialer or a neon the same lsd would work in my saturn also?
    I bought my car from a nun, made it fast and now she wants it back!

no, they're model specific. I think what they meant was that its universal in the sense that its made for almost every car out there. You can get one for a civic, all the way to an alfa romeo.

Comment

I was under the impression that the phantom grip wasn't a true LSD...
      SaturnSeries.net Owner
      '99 SC2 Project Car build thread

Comment

It's not, not even close. I like mine though.

Comment

thanks !!
          I bought my car from a nun, made it fast and now she wants it back!

Comment

how does the phantom grip actually work, its not like a hunk of metal that you wedge into the gear to have "lsd" is it? or what?
            [color=red]-Tyler[/color]<br /><br />2005 Chevy Trailblazer<br />1999 Saturn SL2<br />2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

Comment

Yeah, you pop the pin out, remove the plastic spacer around the gears, insert PG and put the pin back in. It's just like 2 pieces of metal with 4 springs in between them exerting force on the gears acting like a locker but still able to slip when cornering. At least that's how I understand it.

Here's mine.

Comment

thats a hot welded pin now how do you get those pesky spider gears from goin thru the case?
                sigpic-VOLVO 745T 175K MBC ...
                - 9 BOLT Aluminum Intake 3rd gen sedan... Beige... 160K

You're so crazy! enough in a way that i'll probably say you destroyed me!
                ~The Used

Comment

Originally posted by scottyr94
                  Yeah, you pop the pin out, remove the plastic spacer around the gears, insert PG and put the pin back in. It's just like 2 pieces of metal with 4 springs in between them exerting force on the gears acting like a locker but still able to slip when cornering. At least that's how I understand it.

[/img]
                  When I did my PG i kept the plastic spacer in there? Acording to the directions that I got whith the PG?

BTW it works great. I love it.

Comment

The instructions say to take it out...but that peice is in there for a reason. Its the friction barrier between the gear and the diff housing. If you look closly, it has small depressions in the plastic to allow fluid inbetween the gear and the plastic so help keep the gear lubed...with out the plastic, I can see bad things happening. That might be why some people have had so much material in their trans fluid when changing it every 10k miles.
                    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

deja friggin vu
                      didnt you tell me that last year when i did mine??
                      and i still sent a spider through the case!!
                      sigpic-VOLVO 745T 175K MBC ...
                      - 9 BOLT Aluminum Intake 3rd gen sedan... Beige... 160K

You're so crazy! enough in a way that i'll probably say you destroyed me!
                      ~The Used

Comment

I've heard of people that leave the spacer in there having troubles. Just for fun I tried it with the spacer in there and couldn't get it in, so I just took it out like the instructions say to. Oh well, if I break mine I'll try it with the spacer in.

Comment