broken Alt. Bracket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken Alt. Bracket?

I have a friend who is looking to buy a 98 SC2. the guy is willing to sell the thing cheap. it runs good and all as it is. the problem is the current own had run over a parking block and broke the alternator bracket. how would one go about fixing this since the bracket is part of the block? my friend just wants to know it it would be worth the trouble if he can get the car cheap.

wow...i had the same problem about a year ago...i went to start mine up at like 2am to go home, and it made a sound like the belt just came off, well i wasnt trying to do that at night, so in the mornin i started shovin my hand down there to put the belt back on and found the alt. danglin in my hand....well what we ended up doing was me and the guys at my shop fabricated a new bracket which was then welded to the block...worked fine for me and was freee...but basically if you take it to any shop theyll prolly try to do that for him.....

and also, how cheap is "real cheap"?
    Soon To Come:
    <br />custom exhaust
    <br />true short throw
    <br />h4 conversion
    <br />ignition
    <br />wires
    <br />weld diff pin
    <br />bored throttle body
    <br />possibly head and cams?
    <br />all green LED interior
    <br />
    <br />

Comment

$200-300 range I believe

Comment

mine broke off as well. Your saturn dealer can actually order a bracket the will bolt in the same place as the old one. Im not sure it is supposed to be there or just by chance but right behind that alternoter bracket that broke of is a bolt hole which they will use to bolt in the new bracket. I think they charged me around 250. One thing thought be sure to keep the alternator supported because if the wires get yanked around or grounded on somethin you can fry the pcm. I happened to me and thats another 550 dollar bill which im sure you dont want.
        92 SC daily beater l 77 chevy 4x4 waiting to be fixed l 01 durango DD/toy hauler l 08 Mazda3 wifes new ride

Comment

i worked for the dealer for 3 years and we had a couple cars that drove through with broken brackets, and I can honestly say I've never heard of a replacement. Guess you learn somehing new everyday.

Comment

ya theres two little fins behind where the alternator origanally sits, the replacement bracket slides in there between those fins theres one bolt hole that lines up with the replacemetnt and they drill another small one for the other side of the new bracket.
            92 SC daily beater l 77 chevy 4x4 waiting to be fixed l 01 durango DD/toy hauler l 08 Mazda3 wifes new ride

Comment

How the fuck do you braek the alternator support by drviningovera stop block. I wo0uld imagine there would be alot more damage to worry about if something had enought force to make it that far up into the engine compartment. SOunds houkie to me...I think someone fucked something up and blamedit on a parking stop block.
              -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
              1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
              1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

no shit, that doesn't sound right at all

lol @ SC type-r
                -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                  lol @ SC type-r
                  dont hate on the saturn with its madd tyte v-tak [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

lol tbi vtak, I really hope thats a joke

ok sorry, anyway

is there a part number for this "replacement bracket"

I have never seen someone do this nor replaced one, and we break a lot of abstract stuff.
                    -Vinny

Comment

a bump wouldn't break it btw, a loose bolt ...... would

Comment

TBI? i thought the DOHC was EFI? Anyways ya that was a joke.

anyways if you want ill call my dealership and try to get the part number of the bracket they used!

Comment

you have 1992 sc1 in your garage (under your location). dohc is efi.

yeah if you could, might be useful to someone who manages to break theirs.
                          -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
                            a bump wouldn't break it btw, a loose bolt ...... would
                            ya my tech said its most likely a combonation of stress from a loose bolt and the heat from the engine bay

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                              you have 1992 sc1 in your garage (under your location). dohc is efi.

yeah if you could, might be useful to someone who manages to break theirs.
                              they didnt have the option for sc lol it was sc1 or sc2.

Ok when i get a break at work ill get the part number. must be rare my tech said my car was only the second or third one hes EVER seen break since he's worked there

Comment