Oil problems are ticking me off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil problems are ticking me off.

Alright. SO i was paint my cam cover yesterday and got done let it dry for the time it said to and started the car. I heard it making a ticking noise which it does when its low on oil.

SO i checked the dip stick and yeah it needed about half so i added some no problem. well i check the dipstick again and it is way over the line by about a quarter of a inch.

so i figured it wasnt that big of a problem cause itll drain out anyways with the leak i have in the oil pan.

Well today i took of rather quickly and it shot out tons of white smoke. Now is that just oil burning off or should i be worried. It seems if i worry about something then theres nothing wrong with it. But as soon as i dont something has to go and mess up. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks
    أƒئ’أ‚آ¢أƒآ¢أ¢â‚¬إ،أ‚آ¬أƒâ€?أ‚آ Girafroأƒئ’أ‚آ¢أƒآ¢أ¢â‚¬إ،أ‚آ¬أƒâ€?أ‚آ 
    2001 SC2 SOHC waiting for a DOHC swap.

oil burning would be a blue tint.... cuz ine burns likea little bitch.... white hmmm how many miles on the engine

Comment

159,4**

Just past it the otherday. I Figured it wasnt that. But it only puts out the smoke when its wot. I dont get it.

Comment

mota is getting tired,,sounds like rings 2 me
        MAKE EM FAST,BREAK EM FAST
        <br />93 saturn sc2 &lt;daily driver/weekend warrior&gt;
        <br />http://www.cardomain.com/id/sbforever420
        <br />95 saturn sc2 &lt;one of the cleanest 95sc2's&gt;
        <br />http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/835977

Comment

well blue is if it is burning. white can be from oil too but that is if it gets to the exhaust without getting burned, but can also be coolant.
          Ian---The Fat Ass

1995 SL2-High compression engine FOR SALE
          2010 Chevy Cobalt SS- tuned with plenty of goodness
          2002 SC2-New daily
          2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 KRT- got a stupid deal
          2003 Ford Taurus SES- free daily beater

Comment

So i should look into the coolant and makes sure its not milky. I checked the other day and it was fine but that was before it started to put out that much smoke. It doesnt do it when i run normally. Just under heavy accelaration.

And i know theres more oil in it then there needs to be. Im going to drain some of it out and see if that helps. I cant afford an engine rebuild right now.

Comment

dohc's dont blow headgaskets unless your pushing 15+lbs of boost like some people
              it will probably last a long time,but your mota is starting 2 show its age
              MAKE EM FAST,BREAK EM FAST
              <br />93 saturn sc2 &lt;daily driver/weekend warrior&gt;
              <br />http://www.cardomain.com/id/sbforever420
              <br />95 saturn sc2 &lt;one of the cleanest 95sc2's&gt;
              <br />http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/835977

Comment

Originally posted by N20SATURN
                dohc's dont blow headgaskets unless your pushing 15+lbs of boost like some people
                it will probably last a long time,but your mota is starting 2 show its age
                i will go along with that. id say its just oil is getting by without being burned or even possibly be crap in the exhaust, namely catalytic converter. i know back when i had my stock exhaust one i went to 4th gear to pass someone and saw a car coming so i went to 3rd and as soon as i did a huge cloud of white smoke came out.
                Ian---The Fat Ass

2002 SC2-New daily

Comment

I've got no cats and almost 300k on my engine and she smokes when under heavy acceleration or under spray, both due to the piston rings being shot. Sounds like you are having the same blowby issue as mine. It's not a major deal but uses oil, mine has been doing it for over two years with me beating the crap out of her every day, on and off the bottle. As Steve said, it sounds like your motor is showing it's age.

Now if you start to see smoke coming from under the hood, that's a different story lol!!

....also, it's not your coolant that will get milky but your oil. If you have a cracked head (or gasket issue) and coolant is leaking from the water jacket into your oil, believe me, you will know it and your oil will look like a chocolate milkshake.
                  1993 SW2 - Slow and Low

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Fury
                    ....also, it's not your coolant that will get milky but your oil. If you have a cracked head (or gasket issue) and coolant is leaking from the water jacket into your oil, believe me, you will know it and your oil will look like a chocolate milkshake.
                    i love when i use to work in a shop and did lube services on cars that had blown head gaskets. once the oil came out, im just like hey we got some more money to make over here! actually i just told my boss and he tells the customer and they are always like well itll be fine right, i can still drive it for a long time, thats after they hear how much it cost.
                    Ian---The Fat Ass

2002 SC2-New daily

Comment

hey, yo... new to this site but buildin a nice twin cam wagon(95) and thought id drop in. Having the same problem with my wagon... under heavy acceleration, the smoke billows out the exhaust. she gets her doses of castrol! man does she love the stuff. i dont notice any major leakage either. And when i change out the plugs, she looks good. no major signs of oil burning on the tips. so my only thought is its gettin by the rings or the valve guide seals which in turn... if its gettin by the exhaust valve seals, straight into the exhaust, unspent in the combustion chamber, kinda makes sense that white smoke comes from either water/antifreeze burnin, or oil injected straight into the exhaust unburned. So... imma hafta replace the valve guide seals and see how she acts... ill keep a post to let yas know how she acts.

Comment

^^^ bingo

wow a new guy to the board who gets it

I have renewed faith in people now

:lol:
                        -Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by Schizzo97SC2
                          ^^^ bingo

wow a new guy to the board who gets it

I have renewed faith in people now

:lol:
                          [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/lol.gif[/img]

yeah i never did say anything about the valve stem seals, all i said was oil getting into the exhaust without being burned. well at least your heading in the right direction, and hopefully it fixes your problem.
                          Ian---The Fat Ass

2002 SC2-New daily

Comment

I don't know about valve stem seals on saturns, but the rings on the earlier Sattys suck, and that's the primary reason why they burn so much oil.

But that new guy knows his stuff. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]
                            VTEC is like having turbo lag but without the turbo. Its like waiting for bad sex.<br />...<br />1993 SC2m- sold<br />1996 Jeep Cherokee- Likes to get dirty<br />1974 AMC Javelin-Underfunded Project Car<br />2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650- Keep the shiny side up.

Comment