X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 of 1993 S Series radiator petcock still in radiator

Okay this one is kind of goofy.

I replaced the thermostat on my 97 SC2.

I refilled the system and while it was burping, reservoir cap off of course, I noticed a slow drip from the petcock area. Things were not sealed.

I drained the coolant, unscrewed the petcock and out came a piece with a shaft, a short length of threads, and a split nose shaped projection that looked to be designed to fit into and lock in place.

Unfortunately I had already ordered a replacement for the 1997 style radiator petcock.

Through searching the net, I found that the petcock design for my radiator was only used from 91 to 93. So whoever replaced my radiator about a decade ago sourced an old 93 style radiator and put it in my 97.

The issue . The rectangular enclosure has broken free and allowed the center piece with captive threads to pull completely out. Plus I cannot get it to seal when installed.

I looked closely at the online pictures of the part. There are two tangs that keep the rectangular piece from pulling back out once it is inserted. When I tried to squeeze this piece, still counted in the petcock opening, it immediately fell into the radiator.

I cannot see it nor find it with a multitude of tools. I am assuming it is sitting in the bottom of that side tank yet I cannot seem to feel it with any tools I put down there.

Is this failure behavior by design? Assuming that piece is sitting down at the bottom, it is out of the flow of coolant and gravity should help to keep it there. It will not melt at coolant temperatures.

Do I need to find a way to fish this out or is designed to fail this way and be left in there while a replacement is installed?
    Last edited by derf; 11-14-2020, 07:27 AM.
    1997 Saturn SC2 M/T 256k DD
    1995 Saturn SC2 M/T 234k given to nephew, just got parked fully functional -- slated for turbo
    2008 Saturn Vue XR A/T 103k 3-5-R then totalled at 5 mph
    1992 Saturn SL2 M/T 42k traded in to to get the 97 SC2 above
    ----------
    Everything you say to me
    Takes me one step closer to the edge
    And I'm about to break
    I need a little room to breathe
    Cause I'm one step closer to the edge
    And I'm about to break

Shut up when I'm talking to you
    Shut up, shut up, shut up
    Shut up when I'm talking to you