2002 SC2 multiple CEL codes, crank but no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 SC2 multiple CEL codes, crank but no start

I'm going to start with this car has not run since summer of 2010. When I first brought the car home from my parents house and started into it, I knew that it needed a fuel pump and a new battery. I replaced both items and after the car would start, sputter a few times and then stall out. After I plugged into the computer and pulled codes it has stopped doing anything but crank with no start. I do not know where to start with my diagnosis which is why I'm here. The 4 codes that I have on the computer are as follows:

P0232 - Fuel pump relay control circuit high voltage

P0413 - Air injection reaction switching valve 1 circuit open

P0637 - Power steering control circuit high

P1583 - Cruise control direction circuit high voltage

I will say that prior to the car not being touched I had removed the power steering system and the secondary air pump, so I'm sure that's where those codes are coming from but I don't remember getting the power steering code from my 1997 SL2 when I removed the power steering. I have posted everything listed not knowing if they are related or not.

I will be grateful for any and all help!
    A good Saturn is a good sleeper - J. Beanan
    97 SL2m - RIP: everything transferred it all to the '02
    02 SC2m - Father's Memorial project car

Daily - 05 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramx/Allison
    -5" turbo back exhaust and drop in K&N filter, otherwise stock...for now

I'm not an expert with 3rd gen but I'll try.

the last 3 codes really don't matter. It's interesting they all are high though.

the fuel pump is likely the problem code to chase. Are you getting fuel pressure in the rail?
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Comment

I did recently change the fuel pump as it was previously an issue but I never rechecked pressure after replacement. I should know better and have checked that already.

I will find my test kit and check it tomorrow and report back.

Comment

So after the last month and a half of crazy OT at my main job and several extra shifts at my 2nd job, I found some time to go through the car a little better to figure out what's going on...and I can't believe the rookie mistake I made!

So I checked the fuel pressure at the rail and found I had zero move on the needle, at which point I check the fuse which was good, only to discover at some point years ago I pulled the fuel pump relay (probably to help diagnose the bad fuel pump) and never replaced it. I put a relay in and the car fired without issue. Thank you ZombieSatty for helping me with a direction to start.

Comment