Ion Coilovers for S-Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion Coilovers for S-Series

Okay, soo I searched all over this forum and I couldn't find any write up on this, but i'm looking to get some coilovers soon for my 99 sc2 and i was wondering if the coilovers for a Ion would bolt up with minimal modification?

nope. But WRX coilovers are pretty close, same with neon coilovers. There are several threads discussing this.
    ilostmysocketwrench | Bentra Motorsports Blog | Bentra Motorsports Videos

Comment

Ions are completely different animals.
      -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
      1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
      1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

Yea, I've seen discussions and heard about the WRX and Neon coilovers, I was trying to stay within the family lol but damn that sucks, it would've been pretty awesome though

Comment

Yes the IONs are too different to be useful. Good thought though.
          It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Comment

What about using just the Ion cool spring with the SL2 strut assembly? Just curious. About to try using a Cobalt coil spring for my 98 SL2. I have heard a competitor doing this to his race car in the dirt track world to stiffen up his right front.

Comment

Front maybe, think the diameter is pretty wide compared to Scar. Rears are totally different design on scar.

Comment

The spring doesn't care what car it is on. All that matters is the diameter of the spring perches, the height of the spring and the spring rate.
                -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
                1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
                1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Comment

I am going to be trying it tomorrow when I get off work in the morning. Got a race I will be attending , so I will advise what I come up with, weather permitting of course.

Comment

I know they are just springs and can be universal. But coilovers originally for the ION are a totally different design than the Scar suspemsion in the rear.

You might be able to get them to work for the higher rate. Like I said I'm pretty sure they are a smaller diameter. Let us know if they help out though.

Comment

So far it seems to be working. I've done a couple of races now and seem to be holding a better line. My next move is to find some better tires. This track I have been running lately is almost like racing on pavement it's so hard when it's dry.

Comment

Working...
                      X