Kinda suspension related... big tires and rim offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda suspension related... big tires and rim offset

Alright, so I want to throw some fat tires on my 95 SW2. And by fat tires, im talking 225/50/15's.
    Now I know you need at lesat a 15x7 rim, but I'd prefer to have a 15x8.

Now edgeracing has a sale on some SportMaxx rims, the 002's, and they come in a 15x8 with a 0mm offset.

After some hardcore number crunching, I figured out that they'll only stick into the wheel well by 4", vs. the factory 15x6 rim that would stick into the well by 5".
    So even with a 225 tire, I should still be good for clearance.

The only issue is that they stick OUT past the rim mounting face by 4", vs the factory rim that only does 1".

That means that the car would look a little funky... but also handle differently too from what I've read.

Anybody have any experience with changing the offset/rim width by that much?

Thanks!!
    2005 Toyota Echo - the daily... that's raced

0 offset will look HORRIBLE. If you wanna look like a Mexican, then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SupraCharged007
      0 offset will look HORRIBLE. If you wanna look like a Mexican, then go for it.
      +1
      He who won't read has no advantage over he who cannot. Repeat after me: Investigate. Learn. Discover. Ignorance is not bliss.

Comment

Back in the day they used to call that "skate boarding" Not my style.

Tim
        Collecting parts soon bitches soon........

Comment

Yeah I know it'll look mexican'd. My question was about putting the rubber down and rubbing [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Maybe I should stick to a 15x7 rim and a spacer...

Comment

told ya...
            2004 Ion Redline Blue sunroof, advance audio, nexen rubber more to come..
            <br />
            <br />97 sl2 5spd [email protected] SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Rear-Vue
              told ya...
              what are we, 5? lol

Comment

i told ya i figured it wouldnt work, but you smell so i was right.
                <br />

Comment

you love my manly smell u freaky bastard

Comment

Dude there is plenty of room to run a 15x7 or 15x8 with the right offset. The 225/50x15 tire is no trouble. My Kosei's are 15x7 with a +38mm offset, and they have plenty of room for a 225 with no spacer.

Best part too, they are forsale, interested?

--Adam
                    2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment

i just send him this link , i think hes masterbating or something.. hes looking for some like h and R springs and such as well if you got those for sale as well.. hehe
                      <br />

Comment

adam, glad to know that a 15x7 with +38mm offset fits 225/50/15's.

PM or email me with some infos and pics of the rims: [email protected]
                        Thanks dood!

Comment

Adam, not to doubt you or anything, but I've read, at least on teamscr's website, that a 225 will rub... also they seem to say that a "fat" 225 isn't neccessary on the street.... now as for the 2nd part, screw that shit I want to put the rubber down lol.

And for the first part, I could take out my fender liners if they become a problem, they're not sentimental to me lol, but my main concern is (obviously) the rubbing... has anybody else tried 225/50/15's on something like a 15x7 rim with ~38mm offset.

Comment

Originally posted by Viperoni
                            Adam, not to doubt you or anything, but I've read, at least on teamscr's website, that a 225 will rub... also they seem to say that a "fat" 225 isn't neccessary on the street.... now as for the 2nd part, screw that shit I want to put the rubber down lol.

And for the first part, I could take out my fender liners if they become a problem, they're not sentimental to me lol, but my main concern is (obviously) the rubbing... has anybody else tried 225/50/15's on something like a 15x7 rim with ~38mm offset.
                            Not to stomp you down, but I believe they said a 225 Hoosier rubbed for them. That is a totally different tire and are wider then a normal 225.

--Adam
                            2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment

Originally posted by adamkob32
                              Originally posted by Viperoni

Not to stomp you down, but I believe they said a 225 Hoosier rubbed for them. That is a totally different tire and are wider then a normal 225.

--Adam
                              From their site, they claim the Hoosiers spec at 8.6" on a 6.5" wide rim.
                              They are, however, only a 225/45/15, not a 50.

For example, the 225/50/15 BFG KD's spec at 9.2" on a 7" wide rim. If I were to go with an 8" wide rim, that would increase to about 9.5".

This is why I'm worried.

Comment