enlighten me...stb theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enlighten me...stb theory

ok, I understand why the ends of a strut tower brace are threaded for increasing pressure between the towers and tightening it up. However, why are they hinged for the mounts? Is it necessary for the bar to still maintain this little bit of travel as the vehicle goes over varied terrain? I'm in the process of building a stb and I'm debating on leaving the hinges off and making it solid with just the threaded ends. Any cons to doing this? (It's pretty much ready to go minus the mount...)
    [quote author="S.Bretz"]Racing a SOHC saturn is like have a child with down syndrom. It technically shouldn't happen, but ever once in awhile some shit just gets fucked up and you have a 21st pair with 3 chromosomes.[/quote]

the best stb's are solid bars welded to the brackets

Comment

ya, logically I would think that's the best way to go. I'm just wondering about what kind of force would get transfered when something like...oh say, some idiot takes one wheel over a large speed bump and not the other at a higher speed. Obviously the body is going to flex on that one a bit. (like when I let a woman drive)

EDIT: I think I have seen the light. There are tons of hingeless stb's out there.
      [quote author="S.Bretz"]Racing a SOHC saturn is like have a child with down syndrom. It technically shouldn't happen, but ever once in awhile some shit just gets fucked up and you have a 21st pair with 3 chromosomes.[/quote]

Comment

the main reason for that is fitment. welded bars don't always fit perfect, so you have to jack one side of the car up/twiste the frame to make it fit. those with threaded sections and hinges fit every time without that, and the footprint of the link sits flush also without coaxing it. thats the main reason. honestly either will work, it really depends on the overall design as far as what will be better.
        -Vinny

Comment

Yup, its all about tolerance.

A good hinged bar will be just as stiff as a single piece. Its not designed to flex @ all once bolted to the vehicle.
          ilostmysocketwrench | Bentra Motorsports Blog | Bentra Motorsports Videos

Comment