Wheel hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel hop

I have MAJOR wheel hop. I've got a fairly new TAM (installed roughly 1 year ago) and the wheel HOP has only gotten worse since installing the SDA dogbones.

Any ideas? I think maybe the SDAs just don't fit on my 99 sl2 well.. (there was some play on one of the mounts).
    - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

They should have fit just fine. There wasnt any change in the mounts that i know of. Check your lca bushings, they might be bad. Also, what are you running suspension wise? (struts/springs) and how old are they?

Keep your eyes on the S-Series Traction Bar thread, Im gonna get in contact with Ian soon to see if we cant get these things made.

Comment

buy some polyurethane and fill that tam
      http://www.mcmaster.com

Comment

I have a feeling it has more to do with his suspension bushings then the motor mounts. Or even his struts if they are getting old and worn out.

--Adam
        2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment

could have sworn I replied to this already...

Does it happen all the time? Or just when you're launching? Something else is probably worn out.

But +1 on making your own TAM insert. 94a poly, practically solid.

-2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
          -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
          -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
          -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
          -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

i had wheelhop with the poly dogbones and a stock tam, did that^ and now no more wheelhop [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon94sc2
              Check your lca bushings, they might be bad.
              LCA bushings and front swaybar bushings are the primary causes of wheelhop as far as I am concerned. Stiffer engine mounts are just a band-aid. Swaybar bushings first, cheap and easy to replace.
              ilostmysocketwrench | Bentra Motorsports Blog | Bentra Motorsports Videos

Comment

Agreed, solid as hell motor mounts are not always the answer. That seems to be the moto of Saturn's, let's throw on solid mounts and all problems will be solved.

No need to make your interior any worse then it already is lol.

--Adam

Comment

Having an otherwise stock suspension isn't going to help your situation... remember, upgrades work in groups. While the dogbones should've helped it is going to take more than just those to come it down.
                  '94 SL2: The Detail Junky (Will it ever run? Does it even exist?)
                  '95 SW2: The Daily Junky 3 (388k Champion)
                  '95 SL2: The Daily Junky 5 (aka Snow Junky 2)

The Detail Junky Build

"Saturn people like a different kind of Escargot: Redefining the association between Saturns and Snails."

For Sale Thread (Current Items: 9-Bolt Head, 9-Bolt Timing Cover, 5-Bolt Timing Cover)
                  Wanted Thread (None)

Comment

New Question: Do springs wear out easily, and is there any easy way to tell whether your springs are bad or if it's only your struts?

I'm sure the struts are bad, but I'm wondering if I need to buy new springs too, because I'd rather reuse the old ones.. (since I'm not upgrading the struts, just replacing them).
                    - Justin [s]99 Blue SL2 - T3/T4 14psi[/s] (dead)

FS: Pimped lower trans mount, TiAL 38mm Wastegate, Gauge Cluster, Oil Drain

Comment

If your struts are blown then that is your problem right there. Springs don't go bad.

--Adam

Comment

i got canuck moto sport 2inch drop, kyb gr2,s new mounts, new bushings for the sway bar and poly inserts and , well basically same boat as the guy is newish upper tam. and i launch its crazy hop.

i am gonan get a sda tam, and fix the one bushing on the sway bar to lower control arm thats wiggling around , hopefully that solves it.
                        2004 Ion Redline Blue sunroof, advance audio, nexen rubber more to come..
                        <br />
                        <br />97 sl2 5spd [email protected] SOLD

Comment

earthshaker?
                          Sixthsphere.com Owner
                          2016 Honda Fit
                          2002 Saturn SC2 - RHD
                          2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Rear-Vue
                            i got canuck moto sport 2inch drop, kyb gr2,s new mounts, new bushings for the sway bar and poly inserts and , well basically same boat as the guy is newish upper tam. and i launch its crazy hop.

i am gonan get a sda tam, and fix the one bushing on the sway bar to lower control arm thats wiggling around , hopefully that solves it.
                            Stiff springs aren't exactly going to help wheel hop any.

--Adam

Comment

Originally posted by lilcraigford
                              Having an otherwise stock suspension isn't going to help your situation... remember, upgrades work in groups. While the dogbones should've helped it is going to take more than just those to come it down.
                              Honestly I think the stock suspension doesn not contribute to wheelhop. I autoxed for a year bone stock w/o any wheelhop problems. When I upgraded springs/struts it brought out the hop, which was the result of worn swaybar bushings.
                              ilostmysocketwrench | Bentra Motorsports Blog | Bentra Motorsports Videos

Comment