Rear Disc Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Disc Conversion

I already have the awesome link under the DIY section, I also have a similar post from TSN I saved before it went down. But I was looking for a list of what I need to pull from the donor car when I go hunting the local yards.

TIA
    2000 Saturn SC2 DD... RIP
    2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L 4x4
    2009 Yamaha FZ6

i've heard that you don't need the dust shields but when we tried to do my conversion we needed them or the rotors rubbed. make sure you take them just in case.

other than that, e brake bracket is important, we forgot that...

what didn't we forget that day..

everything off the knuckle except for the rotors and pads of course is a good place to start
    99 Saturn Blackberry SL2
    <br />
    <br />7/17/2006

Comment

So ima make a shopping list...

Dust shields (yeah it says leave them in the tsn thread)ha
      E-Brake bracket
      Everything off the knuckle

Are the solinoids the same? I dont need to remove the brake lines (thank god) but is there anything like that needed, thats hidden somewhere or not on the knuckle.

TIA
      2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

Originally posted by thatsadpanda

Are the solinoids the same? I dont need to remove the brake lines (thank god) but is there anything like that needed, thats hidden somewhere or not on the knuckle.

TIA
        Yep.
        -2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, slow, low daily
        -2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
        -1996 Suzuki Bandit 750 swapped
        -1998 VW Golf GTI VR6 Mid Engine LeMons car
        -1986 RX7 - 275whp @ 10psi

Comment

Well, you don't need the hubs from the junkyard (they're on the knuckle), but I want to advise you to be careful about removing your hubs if you have ABS. When you get the hubs off, the backing plate for the drums will be stuck on them pretty hard. You don't want to pound on the back of the hub because that's a dust cap (or, if you have ABS, your wheel speed sensor is back there, and it's got a plastic housing that you don't want to fuck up), so instead grap a pair of prybars and put them between the front of the hub and the backing plate, make sure to pull them in opposite directions, and go to town.
          [16:02] Ferrari166mm: so you&#39;re finally getting into real cars.<br />[16:02] adamkob32: I&#39;ve just had enough of racing a 100HP nutsack
          <br /><br />

Comment

The standard hubs are staying but they'll be removed and re-attached during the process of removing the backing plate. yes?
            2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

you do not need the dust guards. I took my hubs off using a wooden softball bat, I just stuck it in the hole and hit the other side of the bat with a hammer, came off easily. if you can get the nuckles at no charge than do it because it will make the whole thing easier. the braded lines are worth it if you want to spend the extra $30 on it. Good luck I know that doing the conversion was probably the funnest mod I did.
              sigpic

Comment

Wailing on the car w bats and BFHs [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_twisted.gif[/img]
                2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

Originally posted by dream36realms
                  you do not need the dust guards. I took my hubs off using a wooden softball bat, I just stuck it in the hole and hit the other side of the bat with a hammer, came off easily. if you can get the nuckles at no charge than do it because it will make the whole thing easier. the braded lines are worth it if you want to spend the extra $30 on it. Good luck I know that doing the conversion was probably the funnest mod I did.
                  like i said, some did not need them but I did, grab them just in case.
                  99 Saturn Blackberry SL2
                  <br />
                  <br />7/17/2006

Comment

Originally posted by 99_SL2
                    like i said, some did not need them but I did, grab them just in case.
                    I'll grab them just in case, it may be a diff in sl and sc, the walkthrough that used to b on tsn was an sc, and they didnt need them, i believe dream36realms also has an sc, but I'd rather only mak 1 trip to the yd so I'll grab em
                    2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

you do not need the dust guards.
                      That depends on the particular case. Sometimes you get lucky. But sometimes, you ABSOLUTELY DO need them.

I took my hubs off using a wooden softball bat, I just stuck it in the hole and hit the other side of the bat with a hammer, came off easily.
                      If you have ABS, you MUST NOT do this, because it will crack the plastic housing of the wheel speed sensor.

the braded lines are worth it if you want to spend the extra $30 on it.
                      Braided SS brake lines are more like $100+.

Originally posted by thatsadpanda
                      I'll grab them just in case, it may be a diff in sl and sc, the walkthrough that used to b on tsn was an sc, and they didnt need them, i believe dream36realms also has an sc, but I'd rather only mak 1 trip to the yd so I'll grab em
                      There's absolutely no difference between the SL and SC. The reason you may need the dust shields is because they space the hub out a little bit (it's probably about .060 or so). When you space the hub out, you space the rotor out. Because the tolerances on the caliper brackets aren't particularly tight, sometimes the rotor will rub the caliper bracket if there's no dust shield to space the hub out. So sometimes you can get away without spacing the hub out, and sometimes you can't. If you do space the hub out, it will always work.
                      [16:02] Ferrari166mm: so you&#39;re finally getting into real cars.<br />[16:02] adamkob32: I&#39;ve just had enough of racing a 100HP nutsack
                      <br /><br />

Comment

How do I know if I have ABS.
                        2009 Yamaha FZ6

Comment

What's this ebrake bracket you are talking about it?

--Adam
                          2002 Subaru WRX - 2012 Yeti SB66 MTB

http://www.facebook.com/adam.koback

Comment

http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=7526

here's a walkthru we have

I've got a rear disc conversion sitting in my closet with the race tires that just needs rotors, pads, and ebrake cables, I'm sick of looking at it lol.
                            -Vinny

Comment

clint did an awesome write up.
                              07 Redline w/ stuff.<br /><br />89 Civic hatch w/o stuff.<br /><br />96 SL2 that dont need stuff.

Comment